• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 29 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Imperial Pacific looking to transfer casino license, exit Saipan

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Tue 5 Mar 2024 at 06:31
Imperial Pacific to “vigorously defend” exclusive gaming rights on Saipan
42
SHARES
1k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Embattled Saipan casino operator Imperial Pacific International has offered to transfer its casino license to a new investor and leave the island peacefully under the terms of a new settlement agreement it reached last week with the Commonwealth Casino Commission (CCC).

It also agreed to give up the exclusivity of the license to pay US$31 million in arrears license payments and US$16 million for the lifting of its license suspension in a bid to avoid having the license revoked entirely. However, that proposal has been rejected by CNMI Governor Arnold Palacios following the conclusion of last week’s revocation hearing.

In comments reported by local media outlet Marianas Variety, IPI Director Howyo Chi told last week’s hearing, “IPI is looking for a way to settle this amicably. It’s not our intention to go through this messy revocation process that could drag on for years to come.”

He added that the CCC “is amenable to our offer to leave the island and transfer the license. We are just frustrated that the governor appears to have stuck to this messy litigation. We want to settle this as swiftly and peacefully as possible.”

The long-delayed revocation hearing was held after IPI’s license was suspended in April 2021 due to the CCC filing five complaints against it for failure to pay its annual US$15.5 million license fee in August 2020, failure to pay its annual US$3.1 million regulatory fee in October 2020, failure to contribute US$20 million to the community benefit fund in both 2018 and 2019, failure to comply with its minimum US$2 billion capital requirement and failure to comply with a CCC order to pay all money owing to its vendors.

The company has since been involved in multiple litigation battles with former partners and recently sued the CCC and Governor Palacios for breaching the casino license agreement.

With the revocation hearing between CCC and IPI now concluded, the regulator will now hold a public hearing within 30 days to determine the fate of IPI’s license, Marianas Variety said.

On the governor’s decision to reject the current IPI proposal, IPI legal counsel Michael Chen said,

“When we were negotiating strictly with CCC, without the governor’s counsel, without the governor’s presence, we had a framework developed that was agreeable between CCC and IPI. CCC was supposed to present it to the governor, but we never got an answer from the governor until one day he came in and said that he would like to see all the proposals and make his own decision.

“it is quite frustrating that we keep negotiating and not able to get something in return, something that is agreeable. So far we have not been able to get that.”

Chen also revealed that IPI entered into a memorandum of agreement with Kyosei Bank Group to fully take over IPI’s assets, including the casino license, in a deal that would also see the new owner agree to make its license non-exclusive.

RelatedPosts

SkyCity to reopen Hamilton, Queenstown casinos as COVID fears ease

New Zealand Gambling Commission renews SkyCity Queenstown casino license for another 15 years

Tue 11 Nov 2025 at 05:40
Genting dangles additional US$700 million contribution to transport authority with full New York casino license

Genting dangles additional US$700 million contribution to transport authority with full New York casino license

Sun 2 Nov 2025 at 04:02
Genting Malaysia’s New York subsidiaries price an additional US$100 million senior notes as equity raising continues

Maybank IB: All three remaining New York bidders “virtually assured” of full casino license, Genting the strongest

Tue 28 Oct 2025 at 13:42
Genting presents New York casino proposal to Community Advisory Committee, described as state’s largest IR

Genting Malaysia increases license fee, gaming tax rates under revised New York casino proposal

Thu 16 Oct 2025 at 04:52
Load More
Tags: casino licenseCNMIImperial Pacific InternationalSaipansettlement
Share17Share3
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:34

1xBet has signed a partnership with the VALORANT roster of esports powerhouse MIBR, becoming the first-ever official betting partner in the Riot Games ecosystem, the company said overnight. Under the partnership, 1xBet and MIBR will focus on creating a new,...

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29

Genting Berhad’s US flagship, Resorts World Las Vegas, suffered another depressed quarter in 3Q25, with revenue declining 1% year-on-year and 3% quarter-on-quarter to US$175 million, The property also fell to an EBITDA loss of US$12 million compared with a gain...

Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05

Genting Malaysia comfortably beat forecasts in the three months to 30 September 2025, with group-wide revenues rising 22% year-on-year to MYR3.36 billion (US$813 million) on higher gaming revenues at flagship Resorts World Genting – particularly in the VIP segment. Although...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English