• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 December 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

The Hong Kong Jockey Club sets opening day turnover record

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Mon 7 Sep 2020 at 05:55
The Hong Kong Jockey Club sets opening day turnover record
40
SHARES
999
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The Hong Kong Jockey Club recorded the highest opening day turnover in its history on Sunday with total betting reaching HK$1.38 billion – 6.8% higher than the previous record set in the 2017/2018 season.

Locals betting reached HK$1.13 billion – up 4.6% on the previous best – while commingling grew by 18% to HK$247 million.

Ironically, the new record came on the same day as The HKJC also registered the lowest number of attendees to a race meeting in its history with just 362 people granted permission to enter the Sha Tin track due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Despite the low attendance, Winfried Engelbrecht-Bresges, CEO of The HKJC, said he was relieved to get the new season underway given the challenges of recent months.

“We had probably the best start we could hope for into the new season, amazing results,” he said. “We were able to increase turnover despite the fact that we had to close our Off-Course Betting Branches for race day.

“Commingling was HK$247 million, an increase of 18%, so from this aspect turnover wise, we are more than delighted. I can only say for all of our team members, to get this season on the road was a lot of hard work, a lot of planning and a lot of things behind the scenes.”

The strong start comes after The HKJC last week reported an 11.6% decline in turnover to HK$218.8 billion (US$28.2 billion) for the year ended 30 June 2020, impacted by significant falls in football betting and the Mark Six lottery.

By contrast, racing turnover fell just 3.2% to HK$121 billion (US$15.6 billion).

RelatedPosts

Galaxy Chairman Francis Lui personally donates HK$3 million to victims of devastating Hong Kong apartment fire

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 04:32
Tabcorp secures waiver of debt covenants on US$2.1 billion US private placement notes

Tabcorp better placed than online-only sportsbook operators for short-term growth

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:15
2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 25 – Lim Keong Hui

2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 17 – Winfried Engelbrecht-Bresges

Tue 11 Nov 2025 at 11:05
Hong Kong Jockey Club to hold first race meeting at new mainland China racecourse in October 2026

Hong Kong Jockey Club to hold first race meeting at new mainland China racecourse in October 2026

Sun 9 Nov 2025 at 13:15
Load More
Tags: Hong KongHong Kong Jockey Clubhorse racingracingSha TinturnoverWinfried Engelbrecht-Bresges
Share16Share3
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

New Zealand International Convention Centre to officially open on 11 February 2026

New Zealand International Convention Centre to officially open on 11 February 2026

by Ben Blaschke
Mon 1 Dec 2025 at 06:01

SkyCity Entertainment group has confirmed the official opening date for the recently completed New Zealand International Convention Centre (NZICC), which will open its doors for the first time on 11 February 2026. Having taken possession of the facility from developer...

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14

New South Wales police have arrested and charged a couple from Kazakhstan for allegedly fraudulently winning over AU$1 million at Crown Sydney. The couple, who travelled to Sydney from Kazakhstan in October 2025, made multiple visits to the casino at...

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文
  • 日本語

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • 日本語
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English
  • 日本語