• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Sands China: HK regulator concludes investigation – won’t take action

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Mon 16 Jan 2012 at 04:39
1
SHARES
26
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

By Kate O’Keeffe

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Macau casino operator Sands China Ltd. (1928.HK) said Hong Kong’s securities regulator will not take action against the company after concluding an investigation of it, clearing one of several regulatory  hurdles facing U.S. parent Las Vegas Sands Corp. (LVS)

The company said in a Sunday statement to the Hong Kong stock exchange that it had on Dec. 15 received confirmation from the Securities and Futures Commission “that the investigation has been concluded and that no further action will be taken against the Company at this time.” It didn’t elaborate. A representative for the SFC declined to comment.

Sands China said in March that the SFC had asked the company to produce documents for an investigation into alleged breaches of the Securities and Futures Ordinance. Neither the company nor the regulator has disclosed the nature of the investigation. David Webb, a  prominent shareholder activist in Hong Kong, said earlier that the main focus for companies regarding the Securities and Futures Ordinance is the issue of filing false or misleading statements to the stock exchange.

Las Vegas Sands remains under investigation by U.S. federal and state regulators. The company said in March it had received a subpoena from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission requesting that it produce documents related to its compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and that the Justice Department was conducting a similar  investigation. The Nevada Gaming Control Board said it has also initiated an investigation into the matter. The law prohibits U.S. companies from making payments to foreign officials to get or keep business.

An internal memo from the general counsel for Las Vegas Sands Corp. reviewed by The Wall Street Journal shows that Las Vegas Sands is seeking to secure a list of government officials who have gambled at the company’s Macau casinos, indicating a possible focus of the U.S. government’s bribery investigation into the company.

The U.S. gambling giant said it believed the subpoena stemmed from allegations in a wrongful-termination lawsuit filed last October against the company by its former head of Macau operations, Steve Jacobs. In the case, filed in a Nevada court against Las Vegas Sands and its Macau subsidiary, Jacobs accuses the company of wrongfully  terminating his employment because he wouldn’t comply with what he says were illegal demands from his boss, Las Vegas Sands Chief Executive Sheldon Adelson. Las Vegas Sands has denied the allegations.

Among its claims, the suit accuses Adelson of ordering Jacobs to use “improper leverage” against senior Macau government officials to help the company secure rights to sell apartments at its Four Seasons property.

Further, the suit accuses Adelson of insisting Jacobs withhold information from Sands China’s board about “material financial events, corporate governance and corporate independence,” preventing it from having a chance to rule on whether such information should be disclosed to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
Analysts puzzled as combined market cap of Macau concessionaires falls back to 2022 COVID levels

Hong Kong Stock Exchange confirms delisting of LET Group and Summit Ascent scheduled for 1 September

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 05:32
Hong Kong Chief Executive claims to have discussed “travel bubble” with Macau

Hong Kong Stock Exchange to cancel the listings of casino investors LET Group and Summit Ascent

Tue 19 Aug 2025 at 04:54
Grow Beyond Borders with HKUST Asia-Pacific Part-Time MBA (Digital MBA)

Grow Beyond Borders with HKUST Asia-Pacific Part-Time MBA (Digital MBA)

Mon 18 Aug 2025 at 16:25
Load More
Tags: Hong KongSands ChinaSteve Jacobs
ShareShare
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Asia market roundup

Higher business volumes, margins at Resorts World Genting drive improved 2Q25 results for Genting Malaysia

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:09

Genting Malaysia reported group-wide revenue of MYR2.92 billion (US$692 million) in the three months to 30 June 2025, up 9% year-on-year thanks to improvements across all regions including a 10% increase in revenue at flagship Resorts World Genting (RWG) in...

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

by Pierce Chan
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09

Sands China has now welcomed more than 1.1 billion guests across its Macau integrated resorts, representing a significant milestone in its more than 20-year history operating in Macau, the company stated Thursday. In an announcement that also coincided with the...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English