• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 September 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Macau’s THE 13 hotel undergoing maintenance work with a view to reopening

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Mon 1 Jan 2024 at 12:30
Shareholder power play sees Tom Lau step down as director and Deputy Chairman of South Shore Holdings

THE 13

36
SHARES
908
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Ill-fated Macau hotel THE 13 has launched major repair works with a view to resuming business operations sometime this year, according to information from the Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO).

The update followed inquiries from Inside Asian Gaming as to the status of THE 13’s hotel license, which was due to expire on 31 December 2023. In response, the MGTO said the hotel’s operating entity, The 13 Hotel Management Ltd, had submitted an application to renew its hotel license, which has been approved – although the hotel currently remains closed to the public.

THE 13 has, the MGTO added, already commenced maintenance work for the resumption of business “and submitted an application to the Lands and Works Bureau for a (revised) programme of repair/maintenance works.

“The 13 Hotel has renewed its hotel license for the year 2024.”

It remains unclear what The 13 Hotel Management Ltd’s long-term plans for the property are, however, after Macau’s Court of First Instance declared THE 13 bankrupt in February 2023.

Parent company South Shore Holdings previously applied to the Macau court for voluntary liquidation of its wholly-owned subsidiary New Concordia Hotel Limited, the sole beneficial owner of THE 13 Hotel, amid pressure from its lenders. South Shore was also delisted from the Hong Kong Exchange in February.

The brainchild of long-departed Chairman Stephen Hung, THE 13 had been envisioned as an uber-luxury hotel with space for 66 VIP gaming tables aimed at capitalizing on Macau’s booming VIP segment of the early 2010s. Instead, a series of funding and construction delays saw the property open in September 2018 with no gaming and with a number of rooms unfinished – all at a cost of US$1.6 billion.

South Shore revealed in October 2021 that it had ceased all operations and was insolvent following a statutory demand issued by one lender demanding payment of HK$3.28 billion (US$423 million) in outstanding loans and interest or face a winding up petition against the company.

Long-time Chairman Peter Coker Jr, who stepped down from the company in October 2022, was arrested in Thailand in January 2023 after being charged by the US Department of Justice with stock market manipulation.

RelatedPosts

Macau Legend says no concerns over ability to continue after reaching agreement with lenders to defer HK$2.1 billion in looming repayments

Macau Legend reports US$182 million loss in 1H25 as imminent cessation of satellite casino operations add to going concern uncertainties

Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 06:08
Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45
Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43
Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32
Load More
Tags: Hotel licenseMacao Government Tourism OfficeMacauSouth Shore HoldingsThe 13The 13 Hotel
Share14Share3
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

Macau Legend says no concerns over ability to continue after reaching agreement with lenders to defer HK$2.1 billion in looming repayments

Macau Legend reports US$182 million loss in 1H25 as imminent cessation of satellite casino operations add to going concern uncertainties

by Ben Blaschke
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 06:08

Macau Legend Development Ltd, the owner and operator of satellite casino Legend Palace and its surrounding Macau Fisherman’s Wharf precinct, has detailed multiple uncertainties relating to its ability to continue as a going concern after reported a loss of HK$1.42...

China’s largest travel agency discussing agreement with Korea Tourism Organization

South Korea’s gaming and tourism industries call for overhaul of regulatory framework amid rising regional competition

by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 05:34

Representatives of South Korea’s tourism and casino industries have called for an overhaul of the country’s regulatory framework, arguing that integrated resorts with casino gaming must be fully utilized in order to boost international tourism. According to a report from...

Summit Ascent shareholders pave way for Suncity to take majority stake

LET Group and Summit Ascent report improved 1H25 performance on Tigre de Cristal upgrades, addition of export business in Russia

by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 05:16

Summit Ascent Holdings and its parent company LET Group reported a 64.7% increase in revenue to HK$312.9 million (US$40.1 million) in the first six months of 2025, aided by the improved performance of their Russian integrated resort Tigre de Cristal...

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English