• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 30 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Macau Legend keen to continue satellite operations but US$152 million loss in FY21 casts doubt

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Wed 29 Jun 2022 at 05:58
Tak Chun boss Levo Chan to make mandatory cash offer for additional 29% stake in Macau Legend

Legend Palace

13
SHARES
315
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau Legend Development Ltd says it will explore its options with a view to continuing the management of Macau casinos Legend Palace and Babylon – both located at Macau Fisherman’s Wharf – once current concession contracts expire on 31 December 2022.

This is despite auditors issuing a Disclaimer of Opinion on “Multiple uncertainties” relating to the group’s ability to continue as a going concern, with Macau Legend announcing on Tuesday a loss of HK$1.19 billion (US$152 million) in FY21, narrowed from a loss of HK$1.96 billion (US$250 million) in 2020.

Amendments to the governance of satellite casinos form a key part of Macau’s new gaming law, which was passed by the Legislative Assembly last week, with satellites no longer allowed to participate in revenue share arrangements with concessionaires after a three-year transitional period for existing satellite casinos. A number of satellites have either announced plans to close down or their operations assumed by their related concessionaire.

Macau Legend, which operates its casinos under the license of SJM Resorts, said Tuesday it will “explore various options to continue the provision of management or any other forms of services related to the gaming operation at Babylon Casino and Legend Palace Casino after 31 December 2022 to the extent permitted by relevant laws and regulation of Macau, and will maintain close contact with SJM in this regard.”

Noting that the new gaming law will impact the operations of its subsidiary Hong Hock, the company added, “As a provider of casino management services focused on mass market customers and satellite casinos, Hong Hock has a strong reputation and is well established in the gaming industry, proving that its casinos outperform some of the other satellite casinos. Hong Hock is committed to continuing to provide effective casino management services and will continue to focus on developing and identifying partnership opportunities, as well as contributing to the gaming industry in Macau within the constraints of the new law.”

Although Macau Legend saw its group-wide revenues increase 62% to HK$1.14 billion (US$145 million) in 2021, with gaming revenues up 74% to HK$917.3 million (US$117 million), auditors said they were unable to form an opinion on the company’s financial accounts due to “potential interaction of the multiple uncertainties and their possible cumulative effect.”

The auditors noted that Macau Legend’s total bank borrowings amounted to HK$2.36 billion (US$301 million) as of 31 December 2022 of which HK$207 million (US$26 million) will be due for repayment within the next 12 months, while the group’s cash and cash equivalents amounted to just HK$133 million (US$17 million).

This indicates the existence of material uncertainties that may cast significant doubt on the group’s ability to continue as a going concern, it added.

Macau Legend, whose former CEO Levo Chan stepped down in January after being arrested and charged with criminal organization, illegal gambling and money laundering, recently revealed the company was planning to lay off 16% of its workforce.

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
IAG names Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau as venue and SJM Resorts S.A. as Venue Sponsor for 2025 Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner

SJM reports widened 1H25 loss despite GGR growing almost 12% to US$1.90 billion

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 18:54
Capital Punishment

SJM to relocate satellite casino gaming tables, slot machines to Macau’s famous Hotel Lisboa as part of US$68 million deal with parent company STDM

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 17:35
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Load More
Tags: Babylon CasinoGoing concernLegend PalaceMacaumacau legend development ltdsatellite casinos
Share5Share1
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English