• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 30 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Local Macau businesses: The current situation is “economic zero” not “COVID-zero”

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Wed 22 Jun 2022 at 19:35
Local Macau businesses: The current situation is “economic zero” not “COVID-zero”
68
SHARES
1.7k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The latest COVID outbreak in Macau began on Sunday and 71 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 so far, most of them with no symptoms. Macau and mainland China have taken measures to control the outbreak, so the travel industry is once again facing a serious blow. Some businessmen described the current situation as “economic zero”.

Due to the impact of the epidemic, the immigration policy between Macau and the mainland has also changed. The previous 7-day nucleic acid test validity was slashed to just 24 hours, and Zhuhai has implemented a 7-day home quarantine for those who have returned from Macau. As a result, the number of visitors to Macau dropped drastically and tourism has once again been severely affected.

The famous Ruins of St Paul’s area is almost empty today due to the pandemic, and most of the people passing by now are Macau locals. A souvenir store owner, who did not want to show up for work, told me that the outbreak has had a serious impact on the souvenir stores. “From Sunday to today, almost no tourists have been here,” he said. “Business has fallen to zero.”

The famous Ruins of St Paul’s area is almost empty today due to the pandemic.

The souvenir store owner continued, “Business had been recovering steadily, but with the sudden outbreak of the epidemic, business dropped to zero immediately.”

After the outbreak, the government implemented a strict closure policy. The souvenir store owner thinks this policy has a huge impact on the tourism industry. “It’s two years after the epidemic began, but now the measures are stricter than two years ago,” he said. “Now it’s not just a COVID zero, it’s an economic zero.”

In a telephone interview with IAG, Macau Travel Industry Council president, Andy Wu Keng Kuong, said that the epidemic has had a huge impact on the tourism industry. ”The tourism industry and the government’s plans for conventions and events in July are all affected by the epidemic,” Wu said. “We can only hope the epidemic will end as soon as possible.”

The famous Ruins of St Paul’s is almost empty today due to the pandemic.

In the face of the government’s series of blockade measures, he pointed out that “this outbreak of the epidemic is unprecedented, and the Macau tourism industry is closely linked to the mainland, which is also implementing a similar epidemic prevention policy.”

“If the situation in Macau becomes like that of Shanghai, it will be unacceptable to the Macau community. I hope the situation can be controlled within 14 days and normal life can be resumed.”

RelatedPosts

No significant increase to Macau visitor numbers on first weekend of IVS resumption

China’s General Administration of Customs abolishes health declaration requirement for mainland entry

Tue 31 Oct 2023 at 14:27
Macau abolishes Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Centre

Macau abolishes Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Centre

Mon 18 Sep 2023 at 17:34
China’s foreign exchange regulator joins cross-border gambling fight

Foreigners entering China will no longer be required to undergo COVID testing from Wednesday

Tue 29 Aug 2023 at 05:06
Macau drops mask mandate for public buses

Macau drops mask mandate for public buses

Wed 26 Apr 2023 at 23:56
Load More
Tags: Andy Wu Keng KuongCOVID zerocovid-19economicmacau covidsouvenir storetourism industry
Share27Share5
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English