• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 29 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Cambodian government threatens to withdraw financial incentives offered to NagaWorld protestors

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Thu 17 Mar 2022 at 04:01
Union Gaming revises NagaCorp 2020 estimates upwards, says well-placed to swallow impact of new Cambodia gaming law

NagaWorld in Phnom Penh

32
SHARES
797
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The Royal Government of Cambodia has issued a statement around the ongoing worker protests outside integrated resort NagaWorld, claiming it has already provided financial incentives to individuals affected by layoffs and warning those incentives may be withdrawn if the protests continue.

The statement, published by The Khmer Times on Wednesday, claims the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has been “working tirelessly” to resolve the dispute between NagaWorld and around 220 workers who have refused one-off payments from their former employer.

It also says the Ministry “offered financial incentives to employees affected by the downsizing and continued to ensure that legitimate benefits of those downsized employees have been assured.”

However, the statement refers to a warrant issued by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on 16 December 2021 which ruled that all protests taking place from 18 December 2021 onwards were illegal.

“NagaWorld was forced to reduce its employees due to the significant impact of COVID-19 on Cambodia’s tourism industry,” it says.

“While the Ministry supports the legitimate right to strike, the Ministry and relevant authorities do not permit the disgruntled employees to assemble in great numbers at this time due to the need to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to keep all Cambodians safe. Those who have insisted on gathering to air their grievances at NagaWorld are considered to transgress the Ministry’s strict policies and COVID-19 safety regulations, will be removed peacefully, and are at risk of losing their benefits.”

According to details mapped out by the government, NagaWorld laid off 373 employees last year of which 153 agreed to accept a one-off payment in return. However, a larger number have been involved in protests since December calling for full reinstatement of all workers affected.

The statement claims that the Ministry has invited the concerned parties to negotiate on seven occasions but “each time the 373 disgruntled employees demanded to be re-instated before they would issue further demands.”

“As of 15 March 2022, 153 out of 373 employees agreed to accept a one-off payment from Nagaworld in return for their employment contracts being terminated, leaving 220 former employees who have yet to agree.

“The Ministry calls on all protestors both current and former employees of NagaWorld to cease gathering in breach of COVID-19 safety regulations, or else they risk being peacefully removed and facing the loss of their entitlement to financial benefits.”

NagaWorld operator NagaCorp said last year that it had taken “proactive measures to manage the [COVID-19] situation” including a rationalization program to improve cost efficiency, but added it was providing affected employees with “enhanced termination compensation over and above payments required by the applicable Cambodian laws to assist their transition into other career or business interests.”

The company had been looking to save up to US$2 million per month in run-rate operating costs when the workers were let go.

RelatedPosts

Thailand hands over gambling kingpin and long-time fugitive She Zhijiang for extradition back to China

Thailand hands over gambling kingpin and long-time fugitive She Zhijiang for extradition back to China

Thu 13 Nov 2025 at 05:13
2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 25 – Lim Keong Hui

2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 21 – Chen Yiy Fon

Mon 10 Nov 2025 at 18:38
Cambodia shuts down four Sihanoukville casinos for “crime of concealment and fraud through technology”

Cambodia shuts down four Sihanoukville casinos for “crime of concealment and fraud through technology”

Tue 4 Nov 2025 at 05:00

NagaCorp sees strong growth through first nine months of 2025 as strength in mass table segment continues

Thu 2 Oct 2025 at 06:31
Load More
Tags: CambodiaNagaCorpNagaWorldprotests
Share13Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:34

1xBet has signed a partnership with the VALORANT roster of esports powerhouse MIBR, becoming the first-ever official betting partner in the Riot Games ecosystem, the company said overnight. Under the partnership, 1xBet and MIBR will focus on creating a new,...

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29

Genting Berhad’s US flagship, Resorts World Las Vegas, suffered another depressed quarter in 3Q25, with revenue declining 1% year-on-year and 3% quarter-on-quarter to US$175 million, The property also fell to an EBITDA loss of US$12 million compared with a gain...

Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05

Genting Malaysia comfortably beat forecasts in the three months to 30 September 2025, with group-wide revenues rising 22% year-on-year to MYR3.36 billion (US$813 million) on higher gaming revenues at flagship Resorts World Genting – particularly in the VIP segment. Although...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English