• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 31 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Genting Hong Kong warns of US$1.5 billion loss for FY20

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Sun 14 Mar 2021 at 15:04
Genting Hong Kong reports narrowed loss in 2019 but short-term outlook bleak on COVID-19 cruise ship impact
62
SHARES
1.5k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Global cruise ship giant Genting Hong Kong has issued a profit warning on expected losses of at least US$1.5 billion for the year ended 31 December 2020.

The company said via a Hong Kong Stock Exchange announcement late Friday that a preliminary review of its accounts has revealed a “consolidated operating loss of not less than US$600 million and a consolidated net loss of not less than US$1.5 billion” for the year, widened from US$96 million and US$159 million respectively in 2019 due to the effects of COVID-19.

More specifically, it pointed to the suspension of fleet-wide operations across its cruise-related businesses for Dream Cruises, Crystal Cruises and Star Cruises – as well as the suspension of shipbuilding operations at its MV Werften shipyards in Germany from March to October 2020 – which resulted in “impairment losses being recorded on certain intangible assets, property, plant and equipment and other assets and loss on disposal of interest in certain subsidiaries which owned non-core assets.”

The substantial US$1.5 billion loss comes after Genting Hong Kong last year suspended all payments to the group’s financial creditors in an effort to preserve liquidity, stating at the time that it would reserve “remaining available cash to maintain critical services for the group’s operations,” and citing debts of around US$3.4 billion.

It was recently revealed the company was in talks with the German government over a potential US$600 million rescue package to save MV Werften from insolvency.

There was some good news in Friday’s filing, however, with Genting Hong Kong announcing that one of its cruise ships, Crystal Serenity, will start sailings from Nassau and Bimini as of July 2021 – becoming the first ocean ship to sail from the Americas since the cruise industry’s voluntary halt in operations almost a year ago.

“With the resumption of Crystal Serenity, Genting Cruise Lines will have 41% of its entire fleet in operation (based on total lower berths), the highest proportion of all cruise companies in the world, following the restart of Dream Cruises’ Explorer Dream in July 2020 in Taiwan and World Dream in Singapore in November 2020,” the company said.

RelatedPosts

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45
Analysts puzzled as combined market cap of Macau concessionaires falls back to 2022 COVID levels

Hong Kong Stock Exchange confirms delisting of LET Group and Summit Ascent scheduled for 1 September

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 05:32
Hong Kong Chief Executive claims to have discussed “travel bubble” with Macau

Hong Kong Stock Exchange to cancel the listings of casino investors LET Group and Summit Ascent

Tue 19 Aug 2025 at 04:54
Grow Beyond Borders with HKUST Asia-Pacific Part-Time MBA (Digital MBA)

Grow Beyond Borders with HKUST Asia-Pacific Part-Time MBA (Digital MBA)

Mon 18 Aug 2025 at 16:25
Load More
Tags: cruise shipsGenting Cruise LinesGenting Hong KongHong KongLim Kok Thayprofit warning
Share25Share4
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文
  • 日本語

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • 日本語
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English
  • 日本語