• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 30 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

South Korean casinos facing long road back as national COVID-19 restrictions extended to 17 January

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Mon 4 Jan 2021 at 05:00

Landing Casino

30
SHARES
740
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Casinos in and around the South Korean capital city of Seoul will remain closed for at least another two weeks after authorities announced Saturday the extension of strict social distancing measures until 17 January.

The measures will see Level 2.5 distancing, the second highest of Korea’s five tiers, maintained for the greater Seoul region and Level 2 for the remainder of the country, meaning little change for operators in the foreseeable future.

The ban impacts the majority of casino and tourism operators across the country, including South Korea’s leading foreigner-only casino operator Paradise Co Ltd which shut down operations at its Seoul casino, Paradise Walkerhill, on 15 December, and Grand Korea Leisure which closed its casinos at Gangnam COEX, Gangbuk Millenium Seoul Hilton and Busan Lotte Hotel in early December.

Kangwon Land, the only South Korean casino at which locals are allowed to gamble, suspended casino operations for the third time this year on 8 December when its alert level was raised to Level 2. It was also forced to close its ski resort from 24 December after the government mandated the suspension of all tourist operations until 3 January to prevent the further spread of COVID-19 during the year-end holidays. In an announcement posted on its website, Kangwon Land said its ski resort would reopen from today with all 1,589 ski resort employees having returned negative tests. Operations at the Grand Hotel were suspended on 30 December.

There has, however, been an easing of restrictions in Jeju despite the government maintaining Level 2 on the holiday island. According to a local government announcement on Sunday, gatherings of more than five people remain banned but tourist facilities previously required to close can now operate at up to 30% capacity. Hotels can also operate half of their total room inventory.

Only around half of Jeju’s eight casinos suspended operations entirely last month, as per the Bank of Korea’s most recent Regional Economic Report, with Paradise Co’s Paradise Casino Jeju Grand among those to remain open throughout December.

Paradise also maintained operations at its integrated resort, Paradise City, in Incheon despite confirming that patients who later tested positive to COVID-19 had stayed at the property on 13 and 14 December. In a notice, Paradise City said it had “strictly adhered to the quarantine guidelines, so there won’t be any issues in relation to using our hotel and resort facilities by our customers as we’ve conducted additional specialized quarantine measures by closely cooperating with the disease prevention authorities for the safety of our customers and employees and the prevention of an infection.”

COVID-19 cases in South Korea fell for a second straight day on Sunday to 657, down from 824 a day earlier and over 1,000 for each of the previous seven days – although local media is reporting that reduced testing rates had contributed to the improved numbers.

According to the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KCDA), average daily infections have fallen from 1,017 between 20 and 26 December to 931.9 over the past seven days.

RelatedPosts

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38
Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30
Asia market roundup

Higher business volumes, margins at Resorts World Genting drive improved 2Q25 results for Genting Malaysia

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:09
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Load More
Tags: casinoGrand Korea LeisureIncheonJeju IslandKangwon LandParadise CityParadise CoSeoulSouth Korea
Share12Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文
  • 日本語

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • 日本語
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English
  • 日本語