• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 31 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Shinawatra family rejects opposition claim that casino policy drove away Chinese tourists, doubles down on need for entertainment complexes

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Fri 11 Jul 2025 at 06:20
Shinawatra family rejects opposition claim that casino policy drove away Chinese tourists, doubles down on need for entertainment complexes

Image courtesy of The Nation

72
SHARES
1.8k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Thailand’s suspended Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra and her father, former Prime Minister Thaksin, have rejected claims by its former coalition partner Bhumjaithai that a massive decline in Chinese tourism this year is linked to the government’s casino policy.

Instead, the decline is a direct result of safety concerns, the pair said in separate interviews. They also maintained their view that Thailand should develop entertainment complexes with legal casinos – despite the government having agreed to withdraw its Entertainment Complex Bill from the House agenda earlier this week.

While Paetongtarn stated that China’s President Xi Jinping had specifically confirmed to her during a recent meeting that he had issued no order for Chinese citizens to steer clear of Thailand – and certainly not because of the casino policy – Thaksin fronted a special live broadcast aired by The Nation where he insisted safety was the main concern for visitors.

This follows the earthquake that rocked Bangkok in March and more specifically negative publicity around scam centers on the Thai border following the high-profile kidnapping of Chinese actor Wang Xing in January. Wang was later located in Myanmar where he had been forced to work in a scam center.

Plans to allay safety concerns for visitors included the government’s push for Smart City development, Thaksin said, which would feature AI-powered cameras, as well as ongoing efforts to crack down on illegal practices such as call centers located in nearby locations like Myanmar.

On the issue of casinos, Thaksin reiterated his stance that their presence within entertainment complexes were vital to boosting revenue streams and likened them to ski resorts which offer a variety of activities to appeal to all.

He added that the government’s plan already included the implementation of a strict Know Your Customer (KYC) system to ensure only those with legitimate income could participate.

“It’s not like anyone can just walk in without any income or tax records. These people have learned from the casinos in Cambodia; it’s completely different,” he said.

Kevin Clayton, Chief Brand Officer, Thailand for Galaxy Entertainment Group, recently singled out safety concerns as the main issue facing Thailand’s tourism industry right now, explaining that entertainment complexes were one avenue through which to help allay such visitor fears.

In comments to IAG, Clayton said that the earthquake and kidnapping incidents had resulted in a “reassessment of Thailand as a destination”, particularly among Chinese tourists.

“Affordability and accessibility will always be key considerations for many travelers before making a decision on a vacation, but safety will always rank above all else,” he explained.

“It’s therefore much easier to understand why Chinese are deciding against Thailand and preferring other more favorable destinations like Japan, South Korea and Singapore.

“Thailand Tourism needs a reboot with Entertainment complexes being one important strategy to fuel incremental growth. This [would take the form of] billions of [US] dollars of international investment in luxury entertainment attractions that will headline live performances, the very best international dining, the finest hospitality, unique retail concepts and plenty of fun – all presented with Thailand’s warm, welcoming culture.”

RelatedPosts

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44
10 Years Ago: Next Stop Japan

Osaka-based forum to study the potential impact of MGM’s Japan IR on Korea’s casino industry

Wed 27 Aug 2025 at 05:40
Sri Lankan cabinet approves creation of Gambling Regulatory Authority

Sri Lankan parliament passes Gambling Regulatory Authority Bill

Fri 22 Aug 2025 at 06:03
Thailand in political turmoil as Constitutional Court suspends Paetongtarn as Prime Minister over leaked phone call

Reckoning day as Thai PM fronts Constitutional Court to defend against alleged ethics breach

Fri 22 Aug 2025 at 05:06
Load More
Tags: casinosEntertainment Complex BillThailandThaksin Shinawatra
Share29Share5
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English