• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 September 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

PAGCOR chair Tengco says prohibition no solution to online gambling concerns, welcomes advertising restrictions

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Wed 9 Jul 2025 at 06:22
Philippines licensed casinos suffer 2Q24 GGR decline but E-Games sector drives industry growth

PAGCOR Chairman and CEO Alejandro H. Tengco

21
SHARES
513
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The Chairman and CEO of Philippine gambling regulator PAGCOR, Alejandro Tengco, said in a lengthy radio interview on Tuesday that he did not agree with calls to ban all online gambling in the country, stating regulation is key to cleaning up the industry.

He does, however, support tighter restrictions on online gambling advertising while reiterating the need to ramp up the fight against illegal offshore operators, according to local media outlet the Inquirer.

Tengco’s comments follow the filing of a bill by Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri late last week calling on a total ban on all online gambling nationwide, claiming the domestic eGames industry is even more dangerous than the already banned offshore POGOs.

A more realistic bill was filed by Senator Sherwin Gatchalian seeking stronger now-your-customer rules, greater regulation of gambling advertising, the imposition of a minimum top-up threshold of Php10,000 (US$177) and a ban on payment platforms like GCash and Maya from working with online betting operators, among other suggestions.

In an interview with DZMM on Tuesday, Tengco explained that “PAGCOR’s current stand is not a total ban, but stricter regulation” – adding that the licensed domestic online gaming industry is a key revenue driver for the government.

“The current government is earning PHP100 billion directly and indirectly. Let’s not ignore it,” he continued, adding that Php50 billion is being generated annually in license fees alone.

“The truth is, one of the largest online gaming companies licensed by PAGCOR, what was reported to me is that over Php30 billion or Php40 billion were paid in taxes.

“Secondly, there are also ancillary businesses; there are security guards, drivers, messengers, restaurants where these people eat, various transportation companies used by those involved in the online gaming industry. So that’s the indirect one.

“So, the impact of this is hundreds of billions in revenue for our country that could potentially be lost if the total ban is enacted.

“That’s why I said we have a senator, Senator Gatchalian, who is for stricter regulation. That way, the industry can continue to be regulated, and at the same time, the government also makes money.”

Tengco said the biggest issue the industry was facing right now was not those operators licensed to offer online gaming to Filipinos but illegal offshore operators who sat outside the law.

“Right now, we can only capture about 45% to 50% of the entire online gaming sphere or the industry because there are so many illegal operators that are still operating,” Tengco said.

“The proliferation of online illegal operators unfortunately does not come from our country but from other countries that target Filipino customers.

“What is really destroying the industry today are the illegal operators coming from other countries who are targeting Filipino customers. They probably know that Filipinos love to gamble. That is what is currently destroying the well-regulated online gaming industry regulated by PAGCOR.”

Among the regulator’s initiatives to address problem gambling concerns are the establishment of a 24/7 hotline for those in need of help plus a dedicated rehabilitation center.

Artificial intelligence is also set to be deployed by way of a monitoring system with self-exclusion tools and mandatory cooling off periods for those detected to be gambling erratically.

Asked about calls to place restrictions around the advertising of online gambling sites, Tengco said moves were already in place to limit the scale and scope of the many large outdoor banner ads that can be seen promoting such sites across many parts of the country.

“We will regulate all the outdoor billboards that we see popping up. They spring up like mushrooms, there are billboards everywhere, they’re as big as buildings. So that will be regulated,” Tengco said, adding that the licensed operators he has spoken to have not raised any objections to such an initiative.

“We’ll just give them a little time. Because there are others, the ones for this month, for this year, have already been paid, but we won’t extend what we call the period where we’ll have all of this removed, and we’ll regulate the sizes so that the buildings aren’t as big.”

On the advertising of online gambling on television, Tengco stated, “there is a window, like 5:30pm to 8:30pm, that’s primetime. It will no longer be allowed. For the young people, for the families who watch, watch the news while eating. They won’t see ads like this anymore.”

RelatedPosts

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:15
Winds of change

IAG announces program for 2025 IAG Academy Summit on 9 and 10 September at Manila Marriott, Newport World Resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:01
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

Wed 27 Aug 2025 at 13:03
Load More

Tengco also said he would look into a proposal to raise minimum deposit amounts to ensure it was more difficult for young people with fewer financial resources to participate.

Tags: advertisingAlejandro Tengcoonline gamblingPAGCORPhilippines
Share8Share1
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

Macau Legend says no concerns over ability to continue after reaching agreement with lenders to defer HK$2.1 billion in looming repayments

Macau Legend reports US$182 million loss in 1H25 as imminent cessation of satellite casino operations add to going concern uncertainties

by Ben Blaschke
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 06:08

Macau Legend Development Ltd, the owner and operator of satellite casino Legend Palace and its surrounding Macau Fisherman’s Wharf precinct, has detailed multiple uncertainties relating to its ability to continue as a going concern after reported a loss of HK$1.42...

China’s largest travel agency discussing agreement with Korea Tourism Organization

South Korea’s gaming and tourism industries call for overhaul of regulatory framework amid rising regional competition

by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 05:34

Representatives of South Korea’s tourism and casino industries have called for an overhaul of the country’s regulatory framework, arguing that integrated resorts with casino gaming must be fully utilized in order to boost international tourism. According to a report from...

Summit Ascent shareholders pave way for Suncity to take majority stake

LET Group and Summit Ascent report improved 1H25 performance on Tigre de Cristal upgrades, addition of export business in Russia

by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 05:16

Summit Ascent Holdings and its parent company LET Group reported a 64.7% increase in revenue to HK$312.9 million (US$40.1 million) in the first six months of 2025, aided by the improved performance of their Russian integrated resort Tigre de Cristal...

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English