• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 September 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Star’s Hong Kong partners offer one month reprieve to complete Queen’s Wharf Brisbane deal

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Mon 7 Jul 2025 at 08:55
Star to open AU$3.6 billion Queen’s Wharf Brisbane development on 29 August

The Star Brisbane

26
SHARES
638
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

A deal to offload its 50% stake in the AU$3.6 billion (US$2.4 billion) The Star Brisbane integrated resort at Queen’s Wharf is still on the table for Star Entertainment Group after revealing Monday that its Hong Kong partners have granted another month to complete long form documentation.

A week after Star announced that Chow Tai Fook Enterprises and Far East Consortium – which each hold a 25% stake in the Destination Brisbane Consortium (DBC) – were planning to step away from an agreement to acquire Star’s entire interest, the company said via a filing on Monday morning that negotiations would now continue until the end of the month.

However, the new 31 July deadline shapes as a critical one with the embattled Australian casino operator due to pay back AU$36.5 million (US$23.9 million) to Chow Tai Fook and Far East Consortium should negotiations again stall.

According to Star, although the provisions of the original Heads of Agreement first signed in March remain in place while talks continue, it will be obliged to make two payments to its joint venture partners if long form documents are not entered into by the revised termination date. These include the repayment of AU$10 million (US$6.5 million) of proceeds it received from the partners back in March, repayable within 30 days of today’s date, and another AU$26.5 million (US$17.3 million) representing its share of equity contributions that have been made by the partners to DBC since 31 March 2025, payable within 60 days of today’s date.

Star said that negotiations are progressing “with a view to finalizing long form documents”.

In a Hong Kong Stock Exchange filing early Monday morning, Far East Consortium revealed that discussions between the three parties over the past week had been conducted with the mutual aim of reaching agreement on detailed commercial terms. These discussions, it said, had focused on matters principally relating to the orderly transition of the management of the Queen’s Wharf Brisbane project in order to ensure certainty for the joint venture partners and other stakeholders upon Star’s exit.

Far East added that it and Chow Tai Fook have “reached in principle agreement with The Star on the detailed commercial terms of, among others, the proposed transition arrangement.”

Queen’s Wharf, now known as The Star Brisbane, opened in August 2024 – almost two years late than had been originally planned.

It remains unclear what affect another breakdown in negotiations would have on a AU$300 million (US$195 million) rescue package from Bally’s Corp and Investment Holdings that was approved by shareholders last month.

While it would place further financial pressure in Star, Bally’s chairman Soo Kim has repeatedly stated – including in a recent interview with Inside Asian Gaming – that his preference is to keep the company’s Sydney, Gold Coast and Brisbane assets together.

Of more concern to Kim is a potentially massive fine to be issued by AML watchdog AUSTRAC that could make the company insolvent and render any rescue package meaningless.

Star’s agreement with its Hong Kong partners will, if it proceeds, see the company offload its entire Brisbane interest in exchange for AU$56 million (US$36.6 million) in cash plus its Hong Kong partners’ respective 33% stakes in two hotel and residential towers – Dorsett and Andaz – at The Star Gold Coast. This would lift Star’s interest in each tower to full ownership.

RelatedPosts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16
Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Crown Resorts found suitable to retain Melbourne casino license but China investigation ongoing

Crown Melbourne given two-year extension to deadline for implementation of mandatory carded play across table games

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 06:47
Load More
Tags: AustraliaChow Tai FookDestination Brisbane ConsortiumFar East ConsortiumQueen's wharf brisbaneStar Entertainment GroupThe Star Brisbane
Share10Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

Macau Legend says no concerns over ability to continue after reaching agreement with lenders to defer HK$2.1 billion in looming repayments

Macau Legend reports US$182 million loss in 1H25 as imminent cessation of satellite casino operations add to going concern uncertainties

by Ben Blaschke
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 06:08

Macau Legend Development Ltd, the owner and operator of satellite casino Legend Palace and its surrounding Macau Fisherman’s Wharf precinct, has detailed multiple uncertainties relating to its ability to continue as a going concern after reported a loss of HK$1.42...

China’s largest travel agency discussing agreement with Korea Tourism Organization

South Korea’s gaming and tourism industries call for overhaul of regulatory framework amid rising regional competition

by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 05:34

Representatives of South Korea’s tourism and casino industries have called for an overhaul of the country’s regulatory framework, arguing that integrated resorts with casino gaming must be fully utilized in order to boost international tourism. According to a report from...

Summit Ascent shareholders pave way for Suncity to take majority stake

LET Group and Summit Ascent report improved 1H25 performance on Tigre de Cristal upgrades, addition of export business in Russia

by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 05:16

Summit Ascent Holdings and its parent company LET Group reported a 64.7% increase in revenue to HK$312.9 million (US$40.1 million) in the first six months of 2025, aided by the improved performance of their Russian integrated resort Tigre de Cristal...

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English