• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 30 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

China’s Foreign Minister calls for regional crackdown on online gambling and fraud

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Sun 19 Jan 2025 at 13:34
Fitch upgrades China’s 2023 economic growth forecast to 5.2%
20
SHARES
502
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, a member of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC), said in a statement that China is highly concerned about the online gambling and telecommunication fraud that has taken place on the border between Thailand and Myanmar and will take strong measures to crack down on the situation.

According to official state media CCTV, Wang said during a meeting with envoys of 10 ASEAN countries in Beijing that a number of internet gambling and telecommunication fraud cases have occurred along the Thai-Myanmar border, which have threatened and jeopardized the interests of the citizens of China and other countries, and need to be taken seriously.

“We hope that the countries concerned will take up their responsibilities and adopt strong measures to combat Internet gambling and telecommunication fraud, safeguard the lives and properties of the people, and never allow criminals to go unpunished,” he said.

“China is willing to strengthen bilateral and multilateral law enforcement and security cooperation with ASEAN countries so as to provide a safe and secure environment for the people of all countries to come and go without fear, and to maintain a good order of interaction and cooperation among neighboring countries.”

Last month, a mainland Chinese actor, Wang Xing, fell victim to a scam network during a trip to Thailand and was forced to work at a scam hub in northern Myanmar. Although he was successfully rescued by Thai authorities, a large number of mainland travelers have recently canceled their trips to Thailand, with the incident causing significant concern across the region.

According to some mainland media reports, a large number of travelers from various provinces have canceled their air tickets to Thailand, and there are more than 690,000 posts on a mainland social media platform about “cancellation of air tickets and hotel services in Thailand”, noting that there has been a 155% increase in the refund rate of air tickets to Thailand recently.

On 9 January, Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra said the incident shows Thailand needs to strengthen and improve the relevant laws and regulations, and crack down on related crimes.

“We need to prevent Thailand from becoming a transit point for crime,” she stated.

The main fraud zone on the Thai-Myanmar border is known as “KK Park” – a two-square-kilometer zone in Myawaddy, Karen State that can accommodate nearly 10,000 people.

KK Park is known to focus on online gambling and telecommunications fraud, Those caught up in illegal activities there have largely been mainland Chinese residents, with some Hong Kong and Macau residents having also been lured.

According to Macau’s Judiciary Police, a recent investigation revealed that five Macau residents had been tricked or abducted to work in scam hubs in Myanmar, four of whom have been detained by the local police. The other successfully escaped from the ring and returned safely to Macau.

RelatedPosts

Sri Lankan cabinet approves creation of Gambling Regulatory Authority

Sri Lankan parliament passes Gambling Regulatory Authority Bill

Fri 22 Aug 2025 at 06:03
Singapore’s Changi Airport now Asia’s busiest airport as Hong Kong falls further behind

Singapore’s Changi Airport says passenger traffic from China up almost 16% in 2Q25

Wed 23 Jul 2025 at 05:55
Philippine gambling operators now required to run all advertisements by Ad Standards Council before airing under new PAGCOR MoU

Philippine gambling operators now required to run all advertisements by Ad Standards Council before airing under new PAGCOR MoU

Wed 16 Jul 2025 at 19:10
Starr Xian: Human Factor

China’s GDP grows 5.3% in first half of 2025, in line with expectations

Tue 15 Jul 2025 at 12:30
Load More
Tags: ChinacrackdownForeign Ministergamblingsoutheast asiaWang Yi
Share8Share1
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English