• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Macau industry reps insist foreigner-only gaming zones have failed

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Tue 19 Mar 2024 at 04:27
Slots 2.0
33
SHARES
835
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Dedicated foreigner-only gaming zones were launched in Macau’s casinos in early 2023 following a directive from the SAR Government, but their effectiveness has been questioned with industry representatives describing them as a “failure”. They have also noted that chip tracking technology appears to be sufficient for keeping track of foreign play, echoing comments made by MGM Resorts CEO and President Bill Hornbuckle late last week.

The concept of foreigner-only gaming zones were first proposed by the Macau government at the end of 2022, with the initial goal of encouraging concessionaires to put more effort into attracting foreign tourists to the city. As an incentive, the government said at the time it could reduce taxes on gross gaming revenues by up to 5% for revenue generated from foreigners.

However, the effectiveness of the zones was questioned by Hornbuckle during a JP Morgan investor event last Friday, with the MGM CEO stating that a recent move by other Macau casino operators to implement RFID technology to better track play on their gaming floors was at least in part due to the failure of foreigner-only gambling zones to gain traction with players.

“The customers didn’t like it, but the one thing [MGM’s] ‘chip in chip’ technology enabled us to do, and we got a huge head-start on this, was let people go anywhere they want in the casino because we can track their every move and their every play,” he said.

Macau junket operator U Io Hung told Inside Asian Gaming that “no gambler likes to be trapped in one place.

“The casino now keeps a record of every chip and table, and everyone’s bets can be tracked, making the establishment of a dedicated area superfluous,” he added.

“There are foreign gamblers now, but they are fewer than Chinese gamblers, and the number of people who go to the foreigner-only zones is even smaller.”

Speaking at a press conference in November, Macau’s Chief Executive, Ho Iat Seng, was asked about the progress of the zones but replied that the government would not release data on foreigner play.

“The concessionaires have submitted the data to the government, but the data involves commercial practices, so the government will not release it,” he said.

Lam U Tou, a member of the Legislative Assembly who voted against the new gaming law, has questioned the decision not to make such data public.

“It is unreasonable not to publish the data, and if this data is not published, how can the community implement the monitoring of the government’s tax enforcement?” he asked.

“Macau’s GGR is published monthly, and detailed data is published quarterly, but this is not public.”

As for the foreigner-only zones themselves, Lam said, “The gaming industry has reflected that not many foreign gamblers actually enter this gaming area.

“There are Chinese people with foreign passports who come to the gaming area, but very few foreign tourists actually come to the gaming area.”

He added, “The government has proposed this formula, now it needs to account for the results, no matter whether the results are good or bad. It is necessary to disclose the data.”

According to figures released by the Statistics and Census Service, Macau welcomed 28,213,003 visitor arrivals in 2023, although only 1,459,566 were foreign visitors – representing just 5.17% of the total.

“I have always supported the government to attract foreign visitors – not by using this 5% tax but by improving the overall infrastructure support and tourism industry to attract foreign visitors,” Lam said.

RelatedPosts

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38
Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30
Asia market roundup

Higher business volumes, margins at Resorts World Genting drive improved 2Q25 results for Genting Malaysia

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:09
Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
Load More
Tags: casinoforeignerGamingLam U TouMacauU Io Hung
Share13Share2
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English