• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

NSW government backs away from plan to remove 9,500 poker machines from state’s venues

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Wed 5 Mar 2025 at 05:57
NSW state government moves to ban political donations from any clubs offering gambling
20
SHARES
489
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The New South Wales government has reneged on a plan to remove 9,500 poker machines, representing around 10% of the total, from licensed venues across the state, claiming that the considerable money required to do so would be better spent on harm minimization measures.

The plan had been one of the government’s pre-election pledges in 2024, but The Guardianreports that the poker machine policy had now changed following a cost-benefit analysis. The machines were to have been gradually removed by a combination of government buybacks and a forfeiture model.

Speaking at a parliamentary hearing on Tuesday, NSW Gaming Minister David Harris said, “You make those commitments before an election, then you actually get in and do the work and … what we found is it is not the number of machines that’s the issue. It’s the intensity of play.

“The state could pay AU$60 million (US$38 million) to remove those machines and it would make no difference other than AU$60 million coming out of a budget when it could have been spent on harm minimization.

“The idea of reducing machines sounds very attractive, but when the evidence shows us that it would make no material difference, do you think we should go and spend AU$60 million on something that doesn’t make a difference?”

According to The Guardian, Harris stated that the government has revised its policy after listening to advice from an independent panel on gambling policy. The panel comprises representatives from industry lobby groups like Clubs NSW, the Australian Hotels Association (AHA), Gaming Technologies Australia and Leagues Clubs Australia, plus the trustee of the Responsible Gambling Fund, NSW Council of Social Service, Wesley Mission, the United Workers Union, two academics and one person with “lived experience”.

It was this panel that said in a report that the cost of removing 9,500 machines was estimated at AU$60 million and was “not likely to impact gaming machine numbers in a significant way”.

RelatedPosts

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Crown Resorts found suitable to retain Melbourne casino license but China investigation ongoing

Crown Melbourne given two-year extension to deadline for implementation of mandatory carded play across table games

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 06:47
A moral defense of gambling

Star Entertainment Group says lender group’s terms around requested covenant waivers “unacceptable”

Wed 27 Aug 2025 at 13:47
Load More
Tags: AustraliaDavid HarrisNew South WalesPoker machines
Share8Share1
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Asia market roundup

Higher business volumes, margins at Resorts World Genting drive improved 2Q25 results for Genting Malaysia

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:09

Genting Malaysia reported group-wide revenue of MYR2.92 billion (US$692 million) in the three months to 30 June 2025, up 9% year-on-year thanks to improvements across all regions including a 10% increase in revenue at flagship Resorts World Genting (RWG) in...

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

by Pierce Chan
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09

Sands China has now welcomed more than 1.1 billion guests across its Macau integrated resorts, representing a significant milestone in its more than 20-year history operating in Macau, the company stated Thursday. In an announcement that also coincided with the...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English