• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 December 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Marina Bay Sands to pay additional US$1 billion to Singapore Tourism Board for revisions to expansion project

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Sun 12 Jan 2025 at 08:40
Development of fourth Marina Bay Sands tower and new arena to begin by July 2025

An artist’s impression of Marina Bay Sands IR2

2.1k
SHARES
53.6k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Marina Bay Sands (MBS) said Friday it will make an additional upfront payment of US$1 billion to the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) in relation to recent revisions made to its design for its upcoming expansion project, dubbed MBS IR2.

This is in addition to an initial upfront payment of US$963 million made in 2019, when the expansion project was first announced, to lease the associated parcels of land from the STB through 21 August 2066.

According to a filing from parent firm Las Vegas Sands, MBS and the STB on 8 January entered into a Second Supplemental Agreement under which the company has committed to assume liability for the cost of the land premium associated with the purchase of additional gaming area to that previously agreed plus other land premiums resulting from changes to the expansion project’s design and floor area allocations. The agreement still requires that such floor area be used only for the purposes of hotel, gaming, retail, food and beverage, meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions and an arena at the MBS expansion project site.

MBS, which recently forecast a US$8 billion development cost for the expansion, explained that it has made various changes to its development plans since expansion was first agreed to in 2019, requiring the allocation of gross floor area across the site by the STB, plus the purchase of 2,000 square meters of approved gaming area and 10,000 square meters of ancillary area in support of the gaming area from the STB to make the planned changes.

The Second Supplemental Agreement does, however, maintain previously agreed development dates with construction to commence on 8 July 2025 and finish by 8 July 2029, respectively.

“The additional upfront payment amount under the Second Supplemental Agreement is currently anticipated to be approximately US$1 billion,” LVS said in Friday’s filing.

MBS IR2, which centers around development of a fourth hotel tower alongside the existing Singapore icon, is slated to boast its own casino amenities, including a main casino area in the podium plus “sky gaming” in the new tower, as well as 570 luxury suites, a 15,000-seat arena, 110,000 square feet of MICE space, its own SkyPark and high-end F&B.

The new costing, coming in at two-and-a-half times more than the original US$3.3 billion investment announced in 2019, comprises US$4.7 million in design and construction costs, US$2 billion in land premiums and US$1.3 billion in pre-opening and finance costs.

RelatedPosts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14
Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57
Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43
Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05
Load More
Tags: casinoexpansionMarina Bay SandsSingaporeSingapore Tourism Board
Share857Share150
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

New Zealand International Convention Centre to officially open on 11 February 2026

New Zealand International Convention Centre to officially open on 11 February 2026

by Ben Blaschke
Mon 1 Dec 2025 at 06:01

SkyCity Entertainment group has confirmed the official opening date for the recently completed New Zealand International Convention Centre (NZICC), which will open its doors for the first time on 11 February 2026. Having taken possession of the facility from developer...

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14

New South Wales police have arrested and charged a couple from Kazakhstan for allegedly fraudulently winning over AU$1 million at Crown Sydney. The couple, who travelled to Sydney from Kazakhstan in October 2025, made multiple visits to the casino at...

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English