• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Macau operators insist competitive promo environment still tough but improving

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Thu 7 Nov 2024 at 04:45
A New Macau
26
SHARES
641
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau’s gaming operators have broadly described the city’s competitive promo environment as improving, even as competition between the six concessionaires remains rife.

The issue has been a common point of discussion during recent earnings calls for the September 2024 quarter, with most operators noting that competition has stabilized while citing increased efforts to keep player reinvestment in check.

Earlier this week, Melco Resorts Chairman and CEO Lawrence Ho said he believed Macau was now past “peak promotional intensity”, adding, “For the healthy development of the entire market going forward, I hope that all the operators continue to do that because at Melco, our primary focus has always been on EBITDA. Hopefully, with the promotional environment stabilizing, we’ll continue to improve on our EBITDA margin model.”

Melco has been among the main critics of Macau’s “tough comps” this year, calling out in a previous earnings call the “crazy behavior” of some rival operators. That comment was seen by MGM Resorts CEO and President Bill Hornbuckle as a direct shot at his company’s Macau subsidiary, MGM China, which has seen its market share shoot up post-COVID on the back of the 198 additional tables it was granted when new 10-year concessions came into effect on 1 January 2023, as well as its early adoption of smart gaming tables. The Macau government was also forced to direct many concessionaires to rein in free drink and snack giveaways for fear it was negatively impacting the city’s small businesses.

Asked the same question about the current promotional environment in Macau during Wynn Resorts’ 3Q24 earnings call this week, CEO Craig Billings said it was “stable to slightly better … but it’s still very competitive.

“While the competitive environment in Macau is clearly intense, we continue to focus on maximizing EBITDA rather than purely market share,” he added.

Sands China President and CEO Grant Chum told analysts in late October that his company was carefully managing its player reinvestments at a time when it is also facing significant disruption from major upgrade works at its old Sheraton Grand hotel at The Londoner Macao.

“We’re really back to our core strategy, which is we compete on the basis of our products and the content that we bring despite the fact that, obviously in the third quarter, our disruption actually increased.

“We stick to our core strategy and we had a very strong quarter in how we managed customer reinvestments and still maintained market share relative to the second quarter despite rising disruption during the quarter.”

Melco’s President and Director Evan Winkler suggested this week that it is still too early to tell if Macau’s promo environment is on a glide path down but reiterated the feelings of others in the need to manage spending.

“From our standpoint, we certainly aren’t looking at any elevated promotional spending, we are looking at, through our new player launch, how do we best sort of retain our top players, how do we create an aspirational path for those mid-levels and how do we spend dollars effectively on bringing new people into the system?” he said, referencing the company’s recently overhauled loyalty program,

“So, I think it’s more of an allocation issue against the existing pool as we slowly bring [spend] down, but no major changes in the overall level.”

RelatedPosts

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 15:30
Galaxy unveils strategic cooperation agreement with TME Live to bring world-class events to Galaxy Arena

Citigroup: Concert-hosting concessionaires to enjoy above-industry EBITDA growth in the long run

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:18
Emperor Group to target Macau’s premium mass market after 2019 revenue decline

Emperor E sees 30% decline in gaming revenue at Macau’s Grand Emperor in final full six months of satellite casino operations

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 05:26
IAG releases official post-event highlights videos from 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50 Gala Dinner at Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau

IAG releases official post-event highlights videos from 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50 Gala Dinner at Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 04:44
Load More
Tags: CompsconcessionairesMacauMelco ResortsMGM ChinaPlayer reinvestmentSands ChinaWynn Macau
Share10Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32

Century Entertainment International Holdings Ltd has described a “remarkable turnaround” in its financial performance for the six months to 30 September 2025 after reporting its first revenue in years and reversing the HK$11.4 million (US$1.5 million) net loss it recorded...

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English