• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 December 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Philippine senate pushing for inquiry into banking industry’s failure to flag POGO-linked transactions

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Wed 18 Sep 2024 at 05:26
Philippines senator says bank guarantee of POGO auditing firm clearly faked

Makati, Philippines

29
SHARES
726
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The senator leading an ongoing probe into the Philippines’ POGO industry has called for a new inquiry into the alleged failure by banks to flag suspicious transactions related to offshore gaming operations.

According to the Inquirer, the investigation has been proposed by Senator Sherwin Gatchalian through Senate Resolution No. 1193, which was filed last week and notes the requirement by financial institutions under the Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2001 to report suspicious transactions within five working days.

The resolution also points out that, despite this requirement, it has been discovered in recent weeks that companies owned by “POGO mayor” Alice Guo were involved in bank transactions amounting to hundreds of millions of pesos and which contributed to the construction of a POGO hub in her former town of Bamban.

“Such [an] amount is far beyond what the financial statements indicated in the financial capacity of these companies,” the Inquirer reported Gatchalian sa saying.

Guo, whose real name is Guo Hua Ping, served as mayor of Bamban in Tarlac from June 2022 before she was linked to the operation of an illegal POGO hub operating within her municipality. She was earlier this month arrested in Indonesia and deported back to the Philippines, having fled the country amid ongoing investigations into the nature of her involvement.

According to Gatchalian, almost Php5 billion had been deposited into the accounts of Guo and her companions since 2018, allegedly proving her active involvement in POGO operations.

His resolution notes a “remarkable surge of cash flows, check disbursements, and several transactions involving said Guo accounts, which was allegedly highest in 2020” and which he said was “highly unusual and suspicious.”

“These transactions involving significant amounts of money were coursed through the banking system and, unfortunately, were not flagged by the concerned banks and financial institutions,” Gatchalian said.

“Such failure of these banks to report these dubious transactions raises the matter of the effectiveness of their internal controls and procedures for identifying and reporting suspicious transactions.”

The Philippine News Agency also reported Tuesday that authorities are now investigation a former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief for allegedly accepting bribes from POGOs to help Guo flee the country.

“There are talks within the intelligence community, but there is no confirmation or witnesses yet if someone was actually paid but that is the talk now. But they’re still validating it,” said PAGCOR SVP for security Raul Villanueva during the Senate hearing on illegal POGOs.

“I think it was mentioned, a former PNP chief. I don’t know who.”

POGOs have been in the spotlight since Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr announced during his State of the Nation Address in July that he would ban the offshore gaming industry, promising to shut down all existing operations by 1 January 2025.

RelatedPosts

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32
PAGCOR chair Tengco says recent eGames restrictions necessary for industry sustainability

PAGCOR chair Tengco says recent eGames restrictions necessary for industry sustainability

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 04:26
Staying connected

Staying connected

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09
FBM hosts Champions Night to recognize Philippines bingo partners

FBM hosts Champions Night to recognize Philippines bingo partners

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 04:22
Load More
Tags: Alice GuoBanksPhilippinesPOGOSenateSherwin Gatchalian
Share12Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14

New South Wales police have arrested and charged a couple from Kazakhstan for allegedly fraudulently winning over AU$1 million at Crown Sydney. The couple, who travelled to Sydney from Kazakhstan in October 2025, made multiple visits to the casino at...

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English