• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 December 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Star still in holding pattern as crisis talks with governments and lenders continue

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Thu 12 Sep 2024 at 06:07
Off Track: AUSTRAC’s AML Failures

The Star Sydney

21
SHARES
533
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group Limited said Wednesday that talks with stakeholders are ongoing but confirmed the company is still not in a position to release its FY24 financial results. Trading of Star’s shares on the ASX remain suspended.

In a filing, the company stated that it is “continuing to work with various stakeholders and advisers in respect of its financial position”, specifically with state governments, regulators and lenders, among others.

Star, which is reported to be on the brink of financial collapse, had previously confirmed that such discussions related to its troubled liquidity position have included considerations around the application of provisions in the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth), specifically the safe harbour provisions.

Safe harbour provisions are designed to allow directors of a company to pursue restructuring rather than placing it into administration by offering protections against personal debt liability should the restructure ultimately fail.

The drastic action follows a second finding of unsuitability in NSW, home of The Star Sydney, with Star having asked the state governments of both NSW and Queensland for tax relief. The NSW government, which has already postponed a substantial increase in poker machine tax and granted an extension to the deadline for introducing mandatory cashless gaming, has reportedly rejected any further relief.

However, the Queensland state government is said to be considering some sort of assistance given that Star only last month held the Grand Opening for its AU$3.6 billion Queen’s Wharf Brisbane development – seen as a critical piece of tourism infrastructure for the city. Queensland is also home to The Star Gold Coast.

Star’s perilous financial position stems from a combination of significantly higher compliance costs imposed due to historical AML and responsible gambling failures, a softer domestic gaming market due to economic tightness, and the absence of international high rollers.

RelatedPosts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14
Tabcorp secures waiver of debt covenants on US$2.1 billion US private placement notes

Tabcorp better placed than online-only sportsbook operators for short-term growth

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:15
The Star Gold Coast

Bally’s expected to complete conversion of Star shares within this week, chair Anne Ward to step down

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 10:23
US media giant Fox Corp said to be eyeing racing and wagering arm of Australia’s Tabcorp

Tabcorp issues first Australian Medium Term Notes in 16 years

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 04:29
Load More
Tags: AustraliaStar Entertainment Groupsuitability
Share8Share1
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

New Zealand International Convention Centre to officially open on 11 February 2026

New Zealand International Convention Centre to officially open on 11 February 2026

by Ben Blaschke
Mon 1 Dec 2025 at 06:01

SkyCity Entertainment group has confirmed the official opening date for the recently completed New Zealand International Convention Centre (NZICC), which will open its doors for the first time on 11 February 2026. Having taken possession of the facility from developer...

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14

New South Wales police have arrested and charged a couple from Kazakhstan for allegedly fraudulently winning over AU$1 million at Crown Sydney. The couple, who travelled to Sydney from Kazakhstan in October 2025, made multiple visits to the casino at...

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English