• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 December 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Newport World Resorts operator Travellers said to be planning US$300 million IR in Cebu

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Thu 5 Sep 2024 at 05:24
Newport World Resorts operator Travellers said to be planning US$300 million IR in Cebu

Megaworld’s Mactan Newtown development in Cebu

59
SHARES
1.5k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Travellers International Hotel Group, operator of Manila’s Newport World Resorts, is said to be eying a new Php16.9 billion (US$300 million) integrated resort development in Cebu as it looks to expand its gaming and leisure reach across the country.

Local media outlet SunStar Cebu was the first to report the project, which it said was presented to the local government late last month by Travellers Executive Director Georgina Alvarez.

According to information provided, the IR is to be called Mactan World Resorts and located in the 30-hectare Mactan Newtown township currently being developed by Megaworld Corp around 20 minutes from Mactain-Cebu International Airport.

Megaworld and Travellers are both subsidiaries of Alliance Global Group.

Mactan World Resorts will include, among other facilities, a hotel and casino, generating around Php243 million (US$4.3 million) in real property and business taxes over the next five years.

According to SunStar Cebu, the local government has approved a resolution recommending Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan issue a certificate of “no objection” for the development.

In a separate report, InsiderPH quoted AP Securities analyst Alfred Benjamin R. Garcia as stating, “This could be [Travellers’] chance, since one can say that they were late to the Entertainment City party and it will be tough to grab market share from the existing integrated resorts in Entertainment City.”

Noting that that 17% of all inbound tourists to the Philippines visit Cebu – second only to Manila – he added, “Mactan Newtown’s proximity to the international airport in Mactan could prove to be an advantage in luring in VIPs.”

In an interview featuring on the cover of Inside Asian Gaming’s current issue of its monthly magazine, AGI CEO and Travellers Chairman Kevin Tan highlighted the company’s expansion ambitions, which will also include a project in Boracay among others.

Asked about such expansion and other potential locations, Tan explained, “I think the opportunity for growth in this sector will be to open outside Metro Manila. I think Metro Manila is quite saturated already and it’s quite competitive. Even Clark is very competitive. But to go beyond that, to build facilities and to build infrastructure in new areas, prime new areas, I think that’s where the opportunity is.

“The Philippines has a lot of beautiful tourist destinations that can be developed, that have been waiting for developments or investments like this. I think an integrated resort that brings in hotel rooms, world-class amenities and can help develop the local economies will be a very, very good thing to have.”

Cebu is currently home to NUSTAR Resort & Casino, while Dennis Uy’s PH Resorts Group is currently seeking funding to complete its stalled Emerald Bay project.

RelatedPosts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14
Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57
Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43
PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32
Load More
Tags: Alliance Global GroupcasinoCebuintegrated resortKevin TanMactan NewtownPhilippinesTravellers International Hotel Group
Share24Share4
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14

New South Wales police have arrested and charged a couple from Kazakhstan for allegedly fraudulently winning over AU$1 million at Crown Sydney. The couple, who travelled to Sydney from Kazakhstan in October 2025, made multiple visits to the casino at...

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English