• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 29 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Tabcorp fined AU$4.6 million for breaching regulatory obligations

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Fri 23 Aug 2024 at 06:22
US media giant Fox Corp said to be eyeing racing and wagering arm of Australia’s Tabcorp
26
SHARES
639
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Australian racing and wagering giant Tabcorp has been whacked with an AU$4.6 million (US$3.1 million) fine by the Victorian Gambling and Casino Control Commission (VGCCC) for several instances of non-compliance with its regulatory obligations.

The regulator said it has also directed Tabcorp to transform its operations, with Commission Chair Fran Thorn stating Tabcorp Wagering (Vic) Pty Ltd had repeatedly breached the Wagering and Betting Licence and Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct between August 2020 and February 2023.

“Tabcorp’s breaches reflect systemic operational deficiencies and non-compliance with the conditions of its licence, the consequences of which have included significant harm to a customer,” Thorn said.

“The hefty fine, the largest the Commission has ever issued to Tabcorp, is proportionate to the seriousness of the licensee’s misconduct. It sends a clear message to the gambling industry that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.”

This is the second time the VGCCC has hit Tabcorp with a fine in the space of two months, having previously issued AU$370,417 (US$246,790) in fines for multiple charges of failing to prevent a minor from gambling across multiple venues in Victoria and for failing to properly supervise its Electronic Betting Terminals.

In this latest instance, the regulator said Tabcorp was found to have sent direct marketing material to a customer six times between October 2022 and February 2023, despite the customer having opted out of receiving promotional materials.

It also failed to minimize the potential for gambling harm through inadequate training of employees to responsibly deliver its products and services; failed to provide appropriate support to a customer exhibiting observable signs of distress or indicators of potential gambling harm; while on one occasion a Tabcorp account manager placed a ‘Responsible Gambling Call’ to the customer, whose betting patterns had been flagged as potentially concerning by Tabcorp’s monitoring systems. The call ended with the Tabcorp account manager communicating that a deposit match promotion of AU$2,000 would be allocated to the customer’s account.

“This action is indicative of a culture in which the licence holder’s harm minimization obligations were not taken seriously,” Thorn said.

“The recorded call provides evidence of a lack of commitment to responsible gambling policies and demonstrates a lack of concern for the customer’s wellbeing. Instead of offering support or making suggestions to help the customer manage their gambling, the call was used as an opportunity to encourage them to continue gambling.”

To address these breaches, Tabcorp has been directed to implement a transformation program to overhaul its operations, the VGCCC said, with a focus on harm minimization and player safety protections, internal systems and controls to effectively manage its compliance requirements, and controls for effectively managing compliance with its obligations through its network of retail agents.

“The Commission has given Tabcorp clear instructions on what it must do to improve its operations and prioritise gambling harm minimisation,” Thorn explained. “The directed transformation program is intended to future proof Tabcorp’s gambling operations to ensure it complies with the law.

“We will be actively monitoring to ensure that the transformation program requirements are not only implemented quickly but are effective in ensuring ongoing compliance with the law.”

RelatedPosts

Tabcorp secures waiver of debt covenants on US$2.1 billion US private placement notes

Tabcorp better placed than online-only sportsbook operators for short-term growth

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:15
The Star Gold Coast

Bally’s expected to complete conversion of Star shares within this week, chair Anne Ward to step down

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 10:23
US media giant Fox Corp said to be eyeing racing and wagering arm of Australia’s Tabcorp

Tabcorp issues first Australian Medium Term Notes in 16 years

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 04:29
Former Crown owner James Packer accuses lawmakers, regulators of trying to destroy Australian casino industry

Former Crown owner James Packer accuses lawmakers, regulators of trying to destroy Australian casino industry

Mon 24 Nov 2025 at 04:38
Load More
Tags: AustraliaFineTabcorpVictorian Gambling and Casino Control Commission
Share10Share2
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:34

1xBet has signed a partnership with the VALORANT roster of esports powerhouse MIBR, becoming the first-ever official betting partner in the Riot Games ecosystem, the company said overnight. Under the partnership, 1xBet and MIBR will focus on creating a new,...

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29

Genting Berhad’s US flagship, Resorts World Las Vegas, suffered another depressed quarter in 3Q25, with revenue declining 1% year-on-year and 3% quarter-on-quarter to US$175 million, The property also fell to an EBITDA loss of US$12 million compared with a gain...

Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05

Genting Malaysia comfortably beat forecasts in the three months to 30 September 2025, with group-wide revenues rising 22% year-on-year to MYR3.36 billion (US$813 million) on higher gaming revenues at flagship Resorts World Genting – particularly in the VIP segment. Although...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English