• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

New CEO McCann not interested in fire sale for embattled Star Entertainment Group

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Wed 10 Jul 2024 at 14:35
10 Years Ago: The Star war

The Star Sydney

53
SHARES
1.3k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Newly appointed Star Entertainment Group CEO and Managing Director Steve McCann says he won’t be looking to repeat his recent Crown Resorts tenure by seeking a quick sale of the company, instead calling for patience to rebuild Star’s culture and reputation.

Speaking with the Australian Financial Review some two weeks after his appointment to the embattled casino operator, McCann also outlined his intention to build a better relationship with the NSW Independent Casino Commission (NICC) in the wake of recent revelations that the regulator’s relationship with former Star executives Robbie Cooke and David Foster had broken down.

Much has been made of McCann’s role at Star, given that his previous appointment as CEO of rival Crown Resorts resulted in a US$8.9 billion sale to US private equity giant Blackstone after just a year in the hot seat. This time, he told AFR, time and patience is required to work on fixing Star’s culture and repairing relationships given that its casino license in NSW and Queensland remain up in the air.

“We don’t have a ready-made M&A transaction on the table,” he said. “No doubt there are a lot of people looking at Star and thinking, ‘Is there a play here?’ I don’t think we can afford to get too distracted on that at the moment.

“I think there is a solution, there is always a solution, but it is not going to happen overnight.”

Among McCann’s top priorities is what he calls “stakeholder realignment” by which he hopes to have staff, regulators, joint venture partners and shareholders all on the same page – a task he says will depend on having the right people in place.

But “we need the time to recruit the right people. There is no point just putting bodies there to fill seats,” he said. “I’m going to stick with the right mindset. The right people need the opportunity, and we need the support of stakeholders, financial support and patience to get it right.”

McCann, however, seems positive that Star can grow, even if he must first play the waiting game to see what awaits in Adam Bell’s report, due by the end of the month, into The Star Sydney’s suitability following a second damaging inquiry earlier this year.

“There’s a lot to be achieved,” he said. “We’re on track, I think, in terms of the relationship reset [with regulators] and progress on remediation.

“We can realign the priorities. I think we can get some early runs on the board.”

As for Star’s recent financial projections, which have taken a battering due to an absence of international high-rollers and substantially higher costs linked to remediation efforts, McCann told AFR that the days of relying on gaming to prop up the business may well be over for now.

“Gaming has always been seen to be the high-margin, glorious part of the business. It’s the exciting part. Food and beverage and hotels have been a feeder,” he said.

“Every casino imagined in the world was designed with that in mind, and with the highest proportion of revenue and profit coming from gaming. That hasn’t completely flipped, but it shifted dramatically, certainly in Australia.

“There is a reset required there, the revenue base for gaming has been materially impacted, and will take a long time to get back to anywhere near where it was, if it gets back to that.”

RelatedPosts

Tabcorp secures waiver of debt covenants on US$2.1 billion US private placement notes

Tabcorp better placed than online-only sportsbook operators for short-term growth

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:15
The Star Gold Coast

Bally’s expected to complete conversion of Star shares within this week, chair Anne Ward to step down

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 10:23
US media giant Fox Corp said to be eyeing racing and wagering arm of Australia’s Tabcorp

Tabcorp issues first Australian Medium Term Notes in 16 years

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 04:29
Former Crown owner James Packer accuses lawmakers, regulators of trying to destroy Australian casino industry

Former Crown owner James Packer accuses lawmakers, regulators of trying to destroy Australian casino industry

Mon 24 Nov 2025 at 04:38
Load More
Tags: AustraliaNSW Independent Casino CommissionStar Entertainment GroupSteve McCannThe Star (Sydney)
Share21Share4
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32

Century Entertainment International Holdings Ltd has described a “remarkable turnaround” in its financial performance for the six months to 30 September 2025 after reporting its first revenue in years and reversing the HK$11.4 million (US$1.5 million) net loss it recorded...

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English