• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Star Entertainment and Hard Rock: he said, she said … and a chook raffle

Andrew W Scott by Andrew W Scott
Tue 21 May 2024 at 18:22
Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$95 million loss in FY20 but domestic gaming showing signs of recovery

The Star Sydney

76
SHARES
1.9k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

What’s really going on in the recent game of he said, she said between Hard Rock International and Star Entertainment?

It all started with a Star Entertainment ASX filing at 9:10am Sydney time (7:10am Macau time) Monday morning in which Star noted “certain media articles speculating on potential corporate activity involving the Star.” The company “confirm[ed] that it has received inbound interest from number of external parties regarding potential transactions.”

The media speculation in question was from the Australian Financial Review, who confidently reported that “a consortium led by Hard Rock is interested in acquiring and potentially rebranding Star.” The AFR followed up with a number of Hard Rock stories and began breathless speculation on a Hard Rock acquisition of Star and the implications of same. A Star share price bump in the order of 20% ensued! Gripping stuff!

The Star filing was lodged just 50 minutes before IAG Breakfast Briefing is published, at 8am Macau time (10am Sydney time), so IAG reported on both the filing and the AFR assertion, but history has taught us that just because an Australian media outlet says something does not make it so.

Mere minutes after going to press, I decided to contact Hard Rock in the US, who immediately flatly denied the whole thing, with an unequivocal, “Hard Rock is not a member of any group looking to acquire Star or leading any such initiative.” This lead to IAG updating our story at 8:30am Macau time (10:30am Sydney time), to include this quote.

Some 22 minutes later, at 10:52am Sydney time, Star lodged another filing stating that it had been dealing with an entity named “Hard Rock Hotels & Resorts (Pacific)”, which Star “understands is a local partner of Hard Rock”, previously defined in the statement as Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos.

This ultimately led to Hard Rock in the US issuing a press statement overnight Australian time on Monday night, directly refuting the Star announcement. “We want to make it clear that Hard Rock International is not involved in, nor has it authorized, any discussions, activities or negotiations on its behalf in connection with a proposed bid for Star,” the company said in its statement. “Hard Rock International has similarly not authorized the use of the Hard Rock brand in connection with any proposed bid for Star by any third party.”

IAG published this on IAG Breakfast Briefing on Tuesday morning, at 8:47am Sydney time (6:47am Macau time). Lo and behold, some 79 minutes later, Star lodged yet another filing, quickly back peddling with, “Star has not received any proposal directly from Hard Rock” and describing the proposal received from “a consortium of investors which included the entity ‘Hard Rock Hotels & Resorts (Pacific)’” as “incomplete and indicative”. Star went on to say that it had “not engaged in substantive discussions with the consortium” and that it “notes the statement issued by Hard Rock International”. Unsurprisingly, Star did not repeat its “understanding” that Hard Rock Hotels & Resorts (Pacific) is a local partner of Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos.

So, what’s the real backstory here?

IAG has learnt that for many years, there has been a businessman – Patrick Farrugia – who has been representing himself to be in some way associated with “Hard Rock”, but it turns out that Farrugia’s “Hard Rock Hotels & Resorts (Pacific)” isn’t as close to the US-based Hard Rock Hotels and Casinos, or its Hard Rock International arm, as the name might suggest. In fact, we are reliably informed that he has been the recipient of a number of cease-and-desist letters in an effort to curtail Farrugia’s activities. Apparently Farrugia was merely associated with a long-defunct Hard Rock Café franchise in Surfer’s Paradise.

If Star had bothered to simply pick up the phone and call Hard Rock in the US (IAG can give them the number), and make some simple enquiries with the right people as to whether “Hard Rock Hotels & Resorts (Pacific)” was entitled to represent the famous casino company which recently purchased the Mirage in Las Vegas, they would have been met with an emphatic, “No!”

Basic due diligence, anyone? Perhaps here’s yet another example of why the people who have been running Star don’t deserve a license to run a chook raffle, let alone a billion-dollar integrated resort in the heart of Sydney.

RelatedPosts

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Crown Resorts found suitable to retain Melbourne casino license but China investigation ongoing

Crown Melbourne given two-year extension to deadline for implementation of mandatory carded play across table games

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 06:47
A moral defense of gambling

Star Entertainment Group says lender group’s terms around requested covenant waivers “unacceptable”

Wed 27 Aug 2025 at 13:47
Load More
Tags: AustraliaHard Rock InternationalStar Entertainment Group
Share30Share5
Andrew W Scott

Andrew W Scott

Born in Australia, Andrew is a gaming industry expert and media publisher, commentator and journalist who moved to Hong Kong in 2005 and then Macau in 2009, when he founded O MEDIA, one of Macau’s largest media companies, former and parent company of Inside Asian Gaming (IAG). Both O MEDIA and IAG were merged with US-based gaming media brand CDC Gaming on 1 January 2025, under new corporate parent Complete Media Group (CMG).

Andrew was appointed CEO of Complete Media Group upon the merger. CMG is now the parent of three gaming media brands: Inside Asian Gaming (focusing on land-based gaming in the Asia-Pacific region), CDC Gaming (focusing on land-based gaming in the Americas), and Complete iGaming (focusing on online gaming in the Americas and APAC).

Andrew continues to be Vice Chairman and CEO of IAG and now-sister company O MEDIA.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English