• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Macau’s foreigner-only gaming zones didn’t work, says MGM

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Mon 18 Mar 2024 at 05:42
MGM Cotai reopens following COVID-19 lockdown as quarantined staff, guests all test negative

MGM Cotai

69
SHARES
1.7k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The CEO and President of MGM Resorts, Bill Hornbuckle, said Friday that a recent move by other Macau casino operators to implement RFID technology to better track play on their gaming floors was at least in part due to the failure of foreigner-only gambling zones to gain traction with players.

The idea of gaming ones being established exclusively for the use of players from outside of Greater China was first mooted by the Macau government in late 2022 as a means of determining the amount of revenue generated by foreign passport holders. The measure formed part of a newly introduced administrative regulation at that time that sets out the rules for a potential reduction in the tax rate charged on gross gaming revenues (GGR), with the government having stated concessionaires could receive a tax break of up to 5% for increasing foreign visitation.

Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng later revealed that 12 foreigner-only zones had been set up in Macau casinos as of April 2023.

However, Hornbuckle said the experiment with foreigner-only zones didn’t work, with MGM instead relying on chip tracking technology to determine foreigner-play.

“We put in a ‘chip in chip’ program several years ago where basically every chip is tracked, and the benefit at the time was no errors to the game, you knew exactly where to put your labor, there were a bunch of back-end benefits as well in terms of accounting and financing, and it was meaningful,” Hornbuckle said during an appearance at the J.P. Morgan Gaming, Lodging, Restaurant & Leisure Management Access Forum on Friday (Asia time).

“When the new regs came out and the market place was asking for international business outside of Greater China – Hong Kong, Taiwan and mainland China – the only way to track that effectively, because it was a different tax bracket, was to put [the international business] in independent private rooms. That means everyone from Thailand has to go over to a little room and gamble.

“The customers didn’t like it, but the one thing the ‘chip in chip’ enabled us to do, and we got a huge headstart on this, was let people go anywhere they want in the casino because we can track their every move and their every play.

“Mr Jones can go anywhere and we can track his every play, which is a huge advantage because customers do not want to be isolated.”

According to a recent report by Goldman Sachs, at least three other concessionaires – Galaxy Entertainment Group, Melco Resorts and SJM Resorts – will introduce RFID technology to track their chips within 2024, while Sands China and Wynn Macau are reviewing the concept.

Hornbuckle noted that Macau’s gaming regulator, the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ), was highly supportive of such technology.

“They enjoy it and they love it because they can see it, they can understand it,” he said. “It’s truly trackable and you can see that others are now trying to see how quickly they can get to the same technology.”

RelatedPosts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43
Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33
Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05
We’re Back!

Ho Tram says addition of locals gaming to include world-class responsible gaming practices

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 04:22
Load More
Tags: Bill HornbucklecasinochipsGamingMacauMGM ResortsRFID
Share28Share5
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32

Century Entertainment International Holdings Ltd has described a “remarkable turnaround” in its financial performance for the six months to 30 September 2025 after reporting its first revenue in years and reversing the HK$11.4 million (US$1.5 million) net loss it recorded...

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English