• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Melco says debt reduction its main focus in 2024 with almost US$1 billion paid down over past year

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Mon 4 Mar 2024 at 06:31
Two to Tango

Studio City, Macau

36
SHARES
899
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Melco Resorts & Entertainment paid down almost US$1 billion in debt in 2023 as it looks to deleverage in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the company revealed.

Speaking with analysts during its 4Q23 earnings call late last week, Melco said it paid back US$200 million on its revolver and repurchased US$100 million of Studio City bonds by way of cash tender in the December quarter, taking its total debt repayments for the year to US$950 million.

While debt remains high at US$7.47 billion as of 31 December 2023, analysts estimate leverage to narrow back to 4.3x by the end of 2024 with Melco confirming that lowering debt will remain its key focus for the year ahead.

“Clearly the mandate is debt reduction – that’s the number one priority from a capital allocation standpoint,” explained Melco’s Chief Financial Officer, Geoff Davis. “At the same time, we are looking for capital light opportunities to expand the portfolio. But the key laser focus will be on debt reduction.”

Asked about the company’s capital expenditure in 2024, Chairman and CEO Lawrence Ho described upcoming CapEx as minimal following the recent opening of Studio City Phase 2, noting too that Melco’s non-gaming commitments were lower than its Macau competitors and waving off any concerns over those commitments jumping by 20% due to the strength of Macau’s recovery in 2023.

“Other than perhaps Galaxy (currently developing Galaxy Macau Phase 4), none of the operators really have any major, major CapEx projects in Macau because all the land has been used up,” said Ho, adding that Melco would spend between US$360 million and US$375 million this year.

“I think for us, as we continue to improve the product offering, we’ll look at … minor projects that can improve those, but I wouldn’t say there is any major CapEx on the horizon.

“With regards to our Macau government investment tender commitment, I think out of the six operators it’s public knowledge that we had the lowest amount. And I’m pleased to say that we were the only one last year that fulfilled our full amount, so I think going forward, even with the additional 20%, we’re comfortably below everybody else [in spending commitments].”

While costs are coming down, Melco wasn’t shy in admitting it had lost market share last year, which it said was the main reason for an executive reshuffle announced last week. With Chief Operating Officer (Macau Operations) David Sisk announcing his departure after eight years, Melco has hired Alidad Tash, as Executive Vice President of Analytics and Gaming Operations for Macau, Stefan Bollhalder as Vice President of Hotels and Food & Beverage for City of Dreams Macau and Linda Switzer as Vice President of Retail at Melco from April 1. Switzer was previously Vice President of Retail at Wynn with a view to clawing back lost ground.

“The goal for us is to really reclaim the crown in the premium mass sector,” explained Ho.

“And in order to do that, I think we need to work together as a team and with some of the new recent appointments to improve the quality of our offering.

“Frankly, post-COVID, looking around, we really did cut way too much of our offering out there. I think that’s why we lost some share from that basis, so I think that is being addressed. We have done it a million times in the past and we’ve enjoyed having the pro position in premium mass for a very long time, so the goal is to really reclaim that.

“But our number one goal continues to be debt reduction.”

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
IAG names Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau as venue and SJM Resorts S.A. as Venue Sponsor for 2025 Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner

SJM reports widened 1H25 loss despite GGR growing almost 12% to US$1.90 billion

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 18:54
Capital Punishment

SJM to relocate satellite casino gaming tables, slot machines to Macau’s famous Hotel Lisboa as part of US$68 million deal with parent company STDM

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 17:35
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Load More
Tags: David SiskdebtLawrence HoleverageMacauMelco Resorts and Entertainment
Share14Share3
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English