• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Casino junkets still a concern as Philippines again named on global AML “grey list”

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Mon 26 Feb 2024 at 04:38
Manila to drop all capacity restrictions from 1 March

Manila, Philippines

25
SHARES
615
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The Philippines has taken steps towards improving its anti-money laundering and Combatting the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) regime but has not yet done enough to be removed from the global “grey list” of jurisdictions under increased monitoring.

The update was provided by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) after concluding its latest plenary meeting in Paris on Friday, with the need for the Philippines to demonstrate that supervisors are using AML/CFT controls to mitigate risks associated with casino junkets listed among continuing areas of concern.

The Southeast Asian nation was first placed on the grey list in June 2021 but has stated its intention to fulfil all requirements for removal by the end of this year. This has included President Ferdinand Marcos Jr late last year issuing a Memorandum Circular directing 44 government agencies, including gaming regulator PAGCOR, to “review and assess” their requirements and take all necessary actions to ensure the country exits the “grey list” within the stated timeframe.

According to details from FATF, the Philippines has “taken steps towards improving its AML/CFT regime, including by identifying and investigating [terrorism financing] cases.”

However, it should continue to work on implementing its action plan to address its strategic deficiencies, including by demonstrating that effective risk-based supervision of DNFBPs (designated non-financial businesses and professions) is occurring; demonstrating that supervisors are using AML/CFT controls to mitigate risks associated with casino junkets; enhancing and streamlining law enforcement access to beneficial owner information and taking steps to ensure that beneficial owner information is accurate and up-to-date; demonstrating an increase in money laundering investigations and prosecutions in line with risk; and demonstrating an increase in the prosecution of terrorism financing cases.

“The FATF urges the Philippines to swiftly implement its action plan to address the above-mentioned strategic deficiencies as soon as possible as all deadlines expired in January 2023,” it said.

In a statement following the FATF’s update, Philippines Anti-Money Laundering Council Secretariat Executive Director Matthew M. David said, “This improvement in our AML/CFT regime is a strong recognition of the government’s efforts in curbing terrorism and terrorism financing incidents in the country. It also sends a positive signal to the international community on the unwavering commitment and continuous progress made by the Philippines in this front.

“As we continue following the marching orders set by the President, a whole of nation approach remains vital moving forward. We are happy that the collaborative effort among agencies in addressing areas for improvement as suggested by the FATF has been cited.”

Also remaining on the “grey list” is Vietnam, although FATF said the nation had opted to defer the deadline to report its progress in fulfilling requirements. Vietnam has, it said, made progress on some recommended actions by joining the Asset Recovery Interagency Network Asia Pacific and adopting a national action plan on AML/CFT/CPF.

The FATF explained, “Jurisdictions under increased monitoring are actively working with the FATF to address strategic deficiencies in their regimes to counter money laundering, terrorist financing and proliferation financing.

“When the FATF places a jurisdiction under increased monitoring, it means the country has committed to resolve swiftly the identified strategic deficiencies within agreed timeframes and is subject to increased monitoring.”

RelatedPosts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43
PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32
Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05
PAGCOR chair Tengco says recent eGames restrictions necessary for industry sustainability

PAGCOR chair Tengco says recent eGames restrictions necessary for industry sustainability

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 04:26
Load More
Tags: anti-money launderingcasinoFinancial Action Task Forcegrey listJunketsPhilippines
Share10Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32

Century Entertainment International Holdings Ltd has described a “remarkable turnaround” in its financial performance for the six months to 30 September 2025 after reporting its first revenue in years and reversing the HK$11.4 million (US$1.5 million) net loss it recorded...

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English