• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

The final dismount

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Wed 31 Jan 2024 at 09:07
The final dismount
17
SHARES
437
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The 40-plus-year history of horse racing in Macau will come to an end on 1 April this year, with the government having cancelled the concession of the Macau Jockey Club due to mounting losses. In this special feature, Inside Asian Gaming speaks with veteran horse racing fans, employees and newcomers to the sport about their experiences with the MJC.

“There is a tinge of sadness,” Mr Chan, a seasoned horse racing fan, told IAG during a day at the race course. “Macau has lost another offering that its residents had fun with.”

On 20 January, the Macau Jockey Club (MJC) held its first race meet since the announcement just 24 hours earlier of its impending closure, from 1 April 2024, due to mounting losses.  The racecourse was livelier than usual that day, with not only veteran horse racing fans and tourists in attendance but numerous Macau residents who specifically came to watch the races.

Mr Chan visits the racecourse in person on every race day. He believes he can only assess whether his favorite horses are in good form by observing them in close proximity.

“It’s a pity that we won’t be able to walk into the racecourse and enjoy the races like this anymore,” he said. Mr Chan has been a dedicated horse racing enthusiast since the era of the Macau Trotting Club, and he also bets on Hong Kong races.

The predecessor of the Macau Jockey Club, the Macau Trotting Club, was established in 1980 by then Macau governor Nuno Viriato Tavares de Melo Egídio and renowned Macau gambling tycoon Yip Hon. It was the first harness racing venue in Asia but failed to gain traction in the city due to deteriorating operations.

Taiwanese businessman Zeng Xiaocun took over the Macau Trotting Club in 1988 and transformed the operation into traditional horse racing activities. However, financial turmoil persisted and eventually Macau’s casino magnate Dr Stanley Ho acquired the business. His companies have run Macau Horse Racing Company Limited ever since.

“Horse racing is a memory for the older generation in Macau. It was very popular in Macau during the 1990s, but the younger generation doesn’t enjoy horse racing anymore,” Mr Chan said of the recent decline.

Acknowledging this is the result of changing times, he added. “It’s inevitable. In fact, we speculated last year about this outcome for the Macau Jockey Club, which did not import any new horses. It has only kept about the same 200-plus horses for the operation.”

Ung Sau Hong, member of the Administration Committee of the Municipal Affairs Bureau, pointed out in last month’s press conference that the Macau Jockey Club currently has 289 horses, which will now be required to be transported to mainland China by no later than 31 March 2025. It was reported last August that the Macau government was no longer permitting the importation of new horses.

“Without greyhound racing and now horse racing, this may spell the end of an era. It possibly indicates the gradual elimination of any betting activities involving animals worldwide,” Mr Chan observed.

Despite the absence of horse racing in Macau, he still hopes there will be a place in Macau where horse racing enthusiasts can bet on the Hong Kong races.

However, it is clear that horse racing does not resonate with the young generation in Macau.

“Frankly, I have never set foot in the Macau Jockey Club even though I live nearby,” said Thomas, a Macau resident in his twenties.

Like many young people in Macau, Thomas doesn’t know a whole lot about the industry and even believed the Macau Jockey Club and sports betting concession Macau Slot were the same company.

However, on the 20 January race day, he finally visited the racecourse with his friends, placed bets, and watched the races for the first time. Having his first experience with horse racing, he admitted, “I’ve never expected that watching horse races after placing bets can be so exhilarating.”

It wasn’t a winning day for Thomas, however he told IAG he enjoyed the experience.

“The entire process is really exciting. Even though I have lost, it still brings me joy,” he explained.

Nevertheless, while news of the MJC’s closure came as a surprise, he doesn’t consider it a big loss.

“I think perhaps our generation, those born in and after the 2000s, don’t have much knowledge about the Jockey Club so its closure doesn’t make a big difference in our lives,” he remarked.

Macau’s Secretary for Administration and Justice, Andre Cheong Weng Chon, said during the government’s 19 January press conference, “The appeal of horse racing to residents and tourists has declined. The total attendance of local races in 2020 was 38,000, which further decreased to 29,000 in 2023.”

MJC currently has 254 local employees whose futures are now up in the air, although Wong Chi Hong, director of the Labor Affairs Bureau, stated MJC is committed to complying with legal regulations for severance compensation and will coordinate the referral of its employees to other companies affiliated with its shareholders.

But employees are concerned.

“I don’t think I will be successfully referred or be able to work in other companies easily,” said one employee who has been with MJC for 10 years. “It will require a lot of assistance from the Labor Affairs Bureau in referral.”

The employee believes the process may take some time, leaving them with plenty of uncertainty.

“Many staff members had speculated MJC would wind down, but we didn’t expect it to happen so quickly,” they said.

“There is definitely a sense of regret, but this outcome seems not to be unexpected with the declining business over the past three years.”

The MJC will cease operations from 1 April, at which time all eyes will be on the fate of staff, the movement of horses and what the government plans to do with this plot of land that will become one of the largest and most valuable unused spaces in Macau.

Tags: Current IssueMacauMacau Jockey Club
Share7Share1
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to bring a new level of luxury to the Philippines but reimagines Asia’s integrated resort offering. Hann Philippines Inc’s Chairman and...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter regulations imposed, IAG takes a look at what this might mean for eGames in the coming year. As we farewell...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as IAG unveiled its 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50. The 18th Asian Gaming Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner was held...

Nothing lasts forever

Nothing lasts forever

by Pierce Chan
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 17:22

Once December draws to a close, Macau’s satellite casinos will be nothing more than a distant memory. Thinking on their past glory and present decay, the ancient proverb comes to mind, “Nothing lasts forever”. At time of writing, only four...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English