• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 September 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

PAGCOR’s Alejandro Tengco vows to “determine accountability” as investigation launched into alleged release of e-sabong bond

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Wed 6 Sep 2023 at 11:24
PAGCOR set to crack down on POGO industry, warns of potential shutdown as kidnapping cases rise

PAGCOR Chairman and CEO Alejandro Tengco

25
SHARES
625
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

PAGCOR Chairman and CEO Alejandro Tengco said Wednesday that he welcomes the filing of charges against him and previous members of the Philippines gaming regulator’s board, describing it as an opportunity to “find out the truth and determine accountability within the agency”.

Tengco’s comments follow reports that he is one of 10 people charged with graft before the Office of the Ombudsman in relation to the alleged illegal release of a Php75 million (US$1.32 million) bond owed to an e-sabong operator. Specifically, it is alleged by the Chairman and majority shareholder of e-sabong operator Kamura Highlands Gaming and Holdings Inc, Joaquin Sy, that the bond – initially posted to secure an e-sabong license – was illegally refunded to the daughter of a high-ranking executive at Kamura and that attempts to follow-up with PAGCOR on the status of the missing funds were ignored.

While such events are understood to have occurred during the tenure of the previous PAGCOR board, Tengco and his Chief of Staff, Dianne Erica Jogno, have also been charged with alleged obstruction of justice for “their deliberate concealment of the crimes and unjustified refusal to respond to the letters of the complainant within the period prescribed (by the law),” according to the complaint.

In a statement issued Wednesday, Tengco reaffirmed that the alleged disappearance of the money happened during the previous administration but said he wanted to get to the bottom of exactly how the situation came to be in the first place.

“While we find it strange that we are included in the alleged charges, we nevertheless will pursue our own investigation and determine what really happened, and bring the perpetrators to justice if indeed there was any anomaly,” he said.

PAGCOR noted that two former board members named in the action – Carmen Pedrosa and Reynaldo Concordia – had already passed away when the alleged disappearance of the Php75 million took place sometime in July 2022. Tengco, who says an investigation is already underway, was appointed PAGCOR’s new Chairman and CEO on 23 August 2022.

“We have launched an internal investigation and we are trying to recreate the sequence of events since the department allegedly involved, the E-Sabong Licensing Department, has already been disbanded,” he said.

“Former President Duterte outlawed e-sabong in May 2022 and the people in the E-Sabong Licensing Department have since been reassigned to other units so now we are trying to retrace the supposed anomalous transaction.

“While this happened before we came to PAGCOR, the public can rest assured that we will get to the bottom of this, and that we will respond to the accusations against us in the proper venue once we receive a copy of the alleged charges from the Ombudsman.”

RelatedPosts

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:15
Winds of change

IAG announces program for 2025 IAG Academy Summit on 9 and 10 September at Manila Marriott, Newport World Resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:01
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

Wed 27 Aug 2025 at 13:03
Load More
Tags: Alejandro Tengcoe-sabongPAGCORPhilippines
Share10Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

China’s largest travel agency discussing agreement with Korea Tourism Organization

South Korea’s gaming and tourism industries call for overhaul of regulatory framework amid rising regional competition

by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 05:34

Representatives of South Korea’s tourism and casino industries have called for an overhaul of the country’s regulatory framework, arguing that integrated resorts with casino gaming must be fully utilized in order to boost international tourism. According to a report from...

Summit Ascent shareholders pave way for Suncity to take majority stake

LET Group and Summit Ascent report improved 1H25 performance on Tigre de Cristal upgrades, addition of export business in Russia

by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 05:16

Summit Ascent Holdings and its parent company LET Group reported a 64.7% increase in revenue to HK$312.9 million (US$40.1 million) in the first six months of 2025, aided by the improved performance of their Russian integrated resort Tigre de Cristal...

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English