• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

DICJ confirms Macau government can alter concessionaire investment plans as it deems necessary

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Mon 14 Aug 2023 at 12:54
Macau GGR falls 70.5% year-on-year in November to MOP$6.75 billion, slightly down versus October
38
SHARES
942
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau’s Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) has confirmed to Inside Asian Gaming that it has the power to change the investment plans of the city’s concessionaires as it sees fit and taking into account what it deems to be socio-economic development needs.

And while concessionaires have already submitted their plans for this year’s investment programs, those plans must now fit in with the government’s own five-year plan, unveiled earlier this month.

Macau’s six concessionaires all submitted their 2023 plans in March, with Chief Executive Ho Iat-seng stating at the time, “The government will make a judgment based on their investment plans and put them into the government’s ‘1+4’ multi-industry development plan.”

The details of concessionaire plans have not been made public although the government announced its multi-industry development plan on 4 August, titled, “Development plan for the appropriate diversification of the economy (2024 – 2028)”. This plan includes a number of areas related to gaming operators, including some infrastructure projects and non-gaming elements in Macau.

An industry representative, who asked not to be named, told IAG that the five-year plan had not yet been finalized when concessionaires submitted their proposals in March, and that the government had made a number of adjustments to those proposals, in consultation with the concessionaires, in the months since.

“The [gaming concessionaires’] investment plans need to be in line with the government’s new five-year plan,” the source said. “This new five-year plan shows that most of the government’s development plans for the next five years are related to gaming concessionaires, including those in the areas of high technology and major healthcare.”

The “Development plan for the appropriate diversification of the economy (2024 – 2028)” proposes a “1+4” strategy for the development of multiple industries, including integrated tourism and leisure, traditional Chinese medicine and comprehensive health, modern financial services, high-tech, MICE, and culture and sports.

In reply to inquiries from IAG, the DICJ said, “The grantee company has to submit to the SAR Government every year the implementation plan of the next year’s investment plan, and before the SAR Government approves the plan, the Government can adjust the investment project content, investment amount and implementation time in accordance with the needs of the socio-economic development in consultation with the concessionaires. As for the specific project implementation plans of the investment plans of the concessionaires this year, they have already been submitted.”

None of Macau’s concessionaires responded to IAG’s inquiries around the contents of their investment proposals.

It has previously been reported that the Macau government was not satisfied with the investment plans of the concessionaires. Speaking with analysts during Melco’s 2Q23 earnings call, Chairman and CEO Lawrence Ho revealed there were “a lot of negotiations” continuing with the government in the wake of last year’s re-tendering process, which saw all six concessionaires submit detailed investment proposals in winning new 10-year gaming concessions.

“What we’re seeing now is that there is a lot of reporting on the operators’ part – monthly reporting, quarterly reporting – [and therefore] a lot of negotiations and discussions around [what we are planning to do],” Ho said.

RelatedPosts

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 15:30
Galaxy unveils strategic cooperation agreement with TME Live to bring world-class events to Galaxy Arena

Citigroup: Concert-hosting concessionaires to enjoy above-industry EBITDA growth in the long run

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:18
Emperor Group to target Macau’s premium mass market after 2019 revenue decline

Emperor E sees 30% decline in gaming revenue at Macau’s Grand Emperor in final full six months of satellite casino operations

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 05:26
IAG releases official post-event highlights videos from 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50 Gala Dinner at Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau

IAG releases official post-event highlights videos from 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50 Gala Dinner at Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 04:44
Load More
Tags: concessionairesGaming Inspection and Coordination BureaugovernmentHo Iat-senginvestmentMacau
Share15Share3
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32

Century Entertainment International Holdings Ltd has described a “remarkable turnaround” in its financial performance for the six months to 30 September 2025 after reporting its first revenue in years and reversing the HK$11.4 million (US$1.5 million) net loss it recorded...

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English