• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 29 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Revitalized

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Wed 2 Aug 2023 at 04:55
Revitalized
23
SHARES
569
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau’s concessionaires have submitted plans to the government for the revitalization of six older areas of the SAR, but more than two months after these plans were announced, details remain scarce. Is it reasonable to expect private companies to handle such projects, and should their plans be made public? IAG takes a look.

In late May, Macau Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng held a press conference at which he revealed the city’s six gaming concessionaires had submitted detailed revitalization plans for bringing some of the city’s older districts back to life. He also revealed that the Macau SAR Government has already agreed to those plans.

The Chief Executive’s statement immediately caused heated debate within the local community, where issues of conservation have long been viewed as important steps forward. This, it was noted, was the first time the government has openly stated that “revitalization of old districts” would be left to private enterprises.

In his press conference, Ho said concessionaires understood the mindset of tourists and knew what was needed to attract them to some previously underutilized areas.

“Concessionaires have submitted to the government the revitalization proposals for old districts, with detailed plans of revitalizing commercial elements in six old districts,” Ho said. “The government has already agreed with these plans and (concessionaires) will implement them soon.”

Under the new gaming concessions signed by concessionaires in December, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is listed as a general obligation, covering everything from charitable initiatives, staff development, education, scientific research, environmental protection, and cultural and sports activities in Macau.

Revitalization is also seen as an important contribution, and while the government has not yet disclosed any specific details about the concessionaire proposals, some information was made public by the concessionaires late last year.

For example, Galaxy Entertainment Group will take responsibility for redeveloping the Lai Chi Vun Shipyards at Coloane, SJM for the districts around Avenida de Almeida Ribeiro (spanning from Hotel Lisboa to Ponte 16). The Barra district belongs to MGM China and the “Historical Center of Macao” is the responsibility of Wynn Macau.

Cultural Heritage Council member and urban planner Rhino Lam believes handing the responsibility for revitalization to private enterprises can be a positive move.

“When we review the track record, we will find that many previous revitalization programs led by the SAR Government have been criticized and lacked effectiveness,” he said. “So now to have the concessionaires attempt this task, it would not be a 100% bad thing.

“Looking at the current situation, with private sectors handling the revitalization of old districts, those districts can be commercialized.

“The private sectors will choose popular projects for profit-making and will be more efficient than government.”

While some previous instances of private enterprise works have also failed, Lam said, “Since [the revitalization process] has started, we can give it a try. After all, the government has the ownership (of those old districts) and can take them back if (the development projects) fail, and restart another project.”

He does, however, urge the government to release more details about the revitalization plans.

“We are unable to find out any details about this issue. It concerns the preservation and public interest so it should be made public,” he says.

According to the new concession contracts, Macau’s concessionaires must propose their plans for the coming year by the end of September, relating to social and livelihood developments. However, their plans have not yet been disclosed as of July.

“The government had received the plans from concessionaires in the middle of March but did not announce it to the public, so not even legislators knew about those plans,” said Legislator Lam U Tau.

“How can local SMEs cooperate with the concessionaires and the government for development [if they don’t know details]?

“I agree with the idea that concessionaires support the society in developing diverse industries, however, the public knows nothing about the direction of development.”

Lam suggested that a transparent mechanism is needed for private enterprises to support social development.

“There are many examples of corporate participation in social development,” he said. “For example, the Hong Kong Jockey Club had set up a fund in facilitating social development. However, Macau is a case of planning before proceeding.”

Another legislator Leong Hong Sai has directly questioned the government’s revitalization plans by way of a written inquiry, but in reply the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) merely emphasized that “concessionaires have submitted their 10-year development plans in detail, which includes the revitalization plans for old districts.

“Concessionaires are required to submit an annual report on the investment plans implemented in the last year and a report about the implementation program of the specific approved projects, including the amount of investment in specific projects, the timing of implementation and the effectiveness of the projects,” the DICJ added in its reply.

“The system had an ongoing assessment, communication and monitoring mechanism in overseeing the concessionaires’ contribution to the moderate economic diversification and the sustainable development of the Macau economy.”

It seems only time will tell what’s in store for Macau’s old districts.

Tags: Current IssueHo Iat-sengMacau
Share9Share2
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to bring a new level of luxury to the Philippines but reimagines Asia’s integrated resort offering. Hann Philippines Inc’s Chairman and...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter regulations imposed, IAG takes a look at what this might mean for eGames in the coming year. As we farewell...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as IAG unveiled its 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50. The 18th Asian Gaming Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner was held...

Nothing lasts forever

Nothing lasts forever

by Pierce Chan
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 17:22

Once December draws to a close, Macau’s satellite casinos will be nothing more than a distant memory. Thinking on their past glory and present decay, the ancient proverb comes to mind, “Nothing lasts forever”. At time of writing, only four...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English