• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Star Entertainment Group to raise equity after falling to US$858 million loss in 1H23 on regulatory woes

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Thu 23 Feb 2023 at 06:50
10 Years Ago: The Star war

The Star Sydney

29
SHARES
723
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group on Thursday reported a net loss after tax of AU$1.26 billion (US$858 million) for the six months to 31 December 2022, a direct result of regulatory action taken against it for failings uncovered across recent inquiries in NSW and Queensland.

A day after entering a trading halt amid reports the company was set to announce an AU$800 million (US$545 million) equity raising to help pay down its debt, Star today confirmed both the equity raising and the 1H23 loss, which includes AU$1.31 billion (US$892 million) in “significant items”.

“Significant items include impairment of the Sydney property assets, penalties, costs associated with the regulatory reviews, contribution towards the Bell Review [and] accounting for software changes,” Star said.

According to details contained within its results announcement, Star will now undertake a capital restructuring via AU$800 million in equity raising – comprising an AU$685 million (US$467 million) entitlement offer and AU$115 million (US$78 million) institutional placement – while covenant relief has been secured from its bank lenders. The proceeds of the equity raising will be used to pay down debt and increase liquidity, the company explained.

Star also revealed that its strategic partners, Hong Kong-based Chow Tai Fook and Far East Consortium, have provided binding pre-commitments for around AU$80 million (US$55 million), “which equates to their functional pro-rata entitlement in the equity raising.”

Star said, “These capital structure initiatives provide increased financial flexibility to meet capital requirements provisioned for and navigate a range of operating and regulatory uncertainties.”

Star had entered a trading halt on Wednesday after The Australian Financial Review reported the company was in talks with US private equity giant Oaktree Capital Management over a substantial capital injection. It has since been reported that talks between Star and Oaktree stalled with the casino operator instead approaching its existing investors to raise those funds.

Star last week issued an earnings and outlook update in which it warned the company faced a non-cash impairment charge in relation to its NSW business, The Star Sydney, of between AU$400 million and AU$1.6 billion (US$277 million and US$1.12 billion) due to regulatory fines and a planned increase to the NSW casino duty rate on poker machines.

“The Star and the NSW Government are in discussions on the implementation of the proposed changes to NSW casino duty rates,” Star said in the outlook.

“The Star understands the proposed changes will require legislation to be passed by the NSW Parliament, unless the NSW Government and The Star reach agreement.

“If implemented in their current form, the proposed duty rate increases would have a significant adverse impact on the profitability of The Star Sydney, further compounded by the changing operating and competitive environment as described above.

“In this scenario, The Star intends to undertake an urgent review of The Star Sydney’s operating model and assets, with a view to maximising value for the group’s shareholders.”

Star has also been hit with two AU$100 million fines, one each in NSW and Queensland, after being found unsuitable to retain its casino licenses and is facing further disciplinary action from financial crimes watchdog AUSTRAC. The company’s casinos are currently being operated under the watch of an independent monitor, Nicholas Weeks, as Star looks to return to suitability.

Star’s regulatory woes overshadowed an otherwise strong recovery at its three casinos – The Star Sydney, The Star Gold Coast and Treasury Brisbane – with the company reporting a 75.6% year-on-year increase in revenue to AU$1.01 billion (US$688 million) in 1H23. This included record domestic revenue in Queensland with revenues at The Star Gold Coast up 30% and in Brisbane up 9%. The Star Sydney saw revenues fall by 13.5% due to “regulatory changes and competition”.

Group-wide EBITDA was up 551% to AU$199.7 million (US$136 million), however Star said net debt currently stands at AU$1.11 billion (US$756 million).

In announcing its results, Star said it was actively working to execute on priorities identified by Mr Weeks as a base to prepare and develop its long-term remediation measures.

“The priorities of the manager are for the group to enhance its current control environment, implement new internal control manuals, uplift the financial crime program, conduct a comprehensive root cause analysis, uplift management capability and undertake comprehensive reform of the group’s culture.

“These priorities are the foundation to effect significant improvement in risk, governance, culture and controls of the group, with the group’s objective of returning to suitability to hold its casino licenses.”

RelatedPosts

Tabcorp secures waiver of debt covenants on US$2.1 billion US private placement notes

Tabcorp better placed than online-only sportsbook operators for short-term growth

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:15
The Star Gold Coast

Bally’s expected to complete conversion of Star shares within this week, chair Anne Ward to step down

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 10:23
US media giant Fox Corp said to be eyeing racing and wagering arm of Australia’s Tabcorp

Tabcorp issues first Australian Medium Term Notes in 16 years

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 04:29
Former Crown owner James Packer accuses lawmakers, regulators of trying to destroy Australian casino industry

Former Crown owner James Packer accuses lawmakers, regulators of trying to destroy Australian casino industry

Mon 24 Nov 2025 at 04:38
Load More
Tags: Australiaequity raisingOaktree Capital ManagementStar Entertainment GroupThe Star (Sydney)trading halt
Share12Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32

Century Entertainment International Holdings Ltd has described a “remarkable turnaround” in its financial performance for the six months to 30 September 2025 after reporting its first revenue in years and reversing the HK$11.4 million (US$1.5 million) net loss it recorded...

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English