• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Alvin Chau trial adjourned until 29 November after prosecution amends multiple charges

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Fri 18 Nov 2022 at 04:00
Junkets unmasked: Part 2

Alvin Chau

34
SHARES
858
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The trial of former Suncity Group CEO Alvin Chau has been adjourned until 29 November after the prosecution filed a new charge sheet with the Court of First Instance on Thursday, amending a number of charges.

The court had expected closing arguments to be made on 21 November, however defense lawyers requested additional time following the filing of the amended charges, which included those relating to telephone betting and mainland assets.

All witnesses in the case have now given evidence, with the past few days seeing a number of witnesses for the defense taking the stand.

On Wednesday, former Suncity Group Senior Vice President of Public and Social Relations, Gina Lei Sou Ian, described Chau as a good boss who “loves his country, loves Macau and considers his colleagues as his family”. She also said Chau had long contributed to Macau’s economy and to social causes, having sponsored the Macau Grand Prix and fundd the Macau Film Festival.

“He started donating money in 2008 and immediately donated MOP$30 million in early 2020 when there was the pandemic in the mainland,” she said. “He is definitely a businessman who loves his country.”

Lei also claimed Chau was good to his staff, that he would help those who had problems and that he was very polite. When the prosecutor pressed her about Chau’s involvement with triads and whether he was related to infamous triad boss “Broken Tooth” Wan Kuok-koi, Lei replied that she had not seen any triad connection and was “not sure what you are saying”.

On Thursday, the girlfriend of Au Wang Tong, the 13th defendant in the case who is currently in mainland China, appeared in court to give evidence. She claimed Au was only a low-level employee of Suncity but that they’d had little contact since he was arrested at the Zhuhai border crossing on his way back to Macau after a trip with her in December 2020.

She also said there had been no way of contacting him after he was arrested, and that it was only after three months that she was allowed to see him through his lawyer.

“He was punished by standing on the floor, not being allowed to take a shower and even being mentally abused while in detention in the mainland,” she said.

Au had no idea why he was arrested, she stated, believing he was just a low-level employee, but that he had been asked about Suncity while in detention. Au was later transferred to detention in Wenzhou without the knowledge of others.

Au’s girlfriend choked back tears at one point in the courtroom, claiming that while in detention Au had tried to commit suicide.

“When he was released from detention in March this year, I found traces of suicide on his wrists because he felt he had been wronged,” she said. “Why did he suddenly become a criminal when he was just a low-level employee?”

Au was charged with illegal gambling and remains on the mainland, where he has been banned from leaving the country by mainland police.

RelatedPosts

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 15:30
Galaxy unveils strategic cooperation agreement with TME Live to bring world-class events to Galaxy Arena

Citigroup: Concert-hosting concessionaires to enjoy above-industry EBITDA growth in the long run

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:18
Emperor Group to target Macau’s premium mass market after 2019 revenue decline

Emperor E sees 30% decline in gaming revenue at Macau’s Grand Emperor in final full six months of satellite casino operations

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 05:26
IAG releases official post-event highlights videos from 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50 Gala Dinner at Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau

IAG releases official post-event highlights videos from 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50 Gala Dinner at Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 04:44
Load More
Tags: Alvin Chaubetting under the tableMacauSuncity GroupTrial
Share14Share2
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32

Century Entertainment International Holdings Ltd has described a “remarkable turnaround” in its financial performance for the six months to 30 September 2025 after reporting its first revenue in years and reversing the HK$11.4 million (US$1.5 million) net loss it recorded...

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English