• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Minimum table, slot revenue requirement of MOP$45.6 billion for 2023 reflects government’s lack of optimism: expert

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Wed 31 Aug 2022 at 05:00
Minimum table, slot revenue requirement of MOP$45.6 billion for 2023 reflects government’s lack of optimism: expert
46
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The Macau government last week announced its limit on the total number of gaming tables and slot machines to be permitted citywide in 2023, as well as the minimum revenue levels they will be expected to provide. While these numbers are generally seen as reasonable given the current economic climate, industry experts also believe they reflect a distinct lack of optimism from the government about future gambling revenues.

As reported by Inside Asian Gaming, the Chief Executive of Macau, Ho Iat Seng, announced Friday that from 1 January 2023 the number of gambling tables in Macau will be limited to 6,000 and number of gaming machines to 12,000. Minimum annual gambling revenue per table for the purposes of Article 20 of the new Macau gaming law has been set at MOP$7 million (US$866,000) and per gaming machine at MOP$300,000 (US$37,000).

This equals almost MOP$20,000 (US$2,475) per table, per day, and around MOP$820 (US$101) per machine, per day, and sets the government’s minimum revenue target for 2023 at MOP$45.6 billion (US$5.6 billion). GGR reached MOP$292.5 billion (US$36.2 billion) in 2019.

Veteran gambling practitioner Lam Kai Kong told IAG this week that daily table revenue of MOP$20,000 is reasonable.

“This year’s gambling revenue will be very poor and will not even reach MOP$45.6 billion, but if there is no closure and pandemic next year, it is basically no problem to reach MOP$45.6 billion,” he said.

However, Lam believes the government’s MOP$45.6 billion minimum requirement, indirectly reflects that the government is not optimistic about next year’s expectations.

“If the six casino concessionaires fail to reach MOP$45.6 billion in gambling revenue next year, it is obvious that there will be serious losses. If the government sets the limit too high, it will affect the confidence of the current bidders,” he said, referencing the ongoing re-tender process for new Macau gaming concessions.

The Macau government had previously estimated that gambling revenue for both 2021 and 2022 would be MOP$130 billion (US$16.1 billion), but it reached just MOP$86.9 billion (US$10.8 billion) in 2021 and will fall well short of that in 2022, forcing the government to dip into its reserves to cover the shortfall. The Basic Law stipulates that fiscal reserves must be “kept within the limits of revenues”, which means gambling revenues needed to reach MOP$130 billion in 2021 and 2022 to meet government expenditure.

Lam said concessionaires also need revenues to reach MOP$130 billion for them to generate a profit.

Table revenue accounts for close to 95% of Macau’s total gambling revenue, based on 2019 levels, so if this calculation is based on MOP$130 billion in gambling revenue, MOP$123.5 billion would need to come from tables. This would require each table earn MOP$20.58 million per year.

However, with the number of VIP tables accounting for 20% of the total number of tables in 2019, it will be difficult to achieve MOP$123.5 billion in gambling revenue from 6,000 primarily mass tables alone unless the tourism market returns to something closer to 2019 levels.

RelatedPosts

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57
Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52
Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05
10 Years Ago – Buying the house

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 15:30
Load More
Tags: concessionairesGaming Lawgaming tablesgross gaming revenueMacauslot machinestable cap
Share18Share3
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English