• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Judiciary Police says Southeast Asian casino job scam spreading to Macau

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Thu 18 Aug 2022 at 22:50
Judiciary Police says Southeast Asian casino job scam spreading to Macau
54
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau’s Judiciary Police (PJ) has confirmed at least five cases of residents being lured to Southeast Asia on the promise of high-paying casino jobs that are suspected to be fraudulent instead.

At a press conference on Thursday afternoon aimed at warning people of potential dangers, the PJ referenced a number of recent incidents of people from mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan being lured to work in Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar only to be forced into illegal work, including online gambling and telecom fraud. Authorities said they had detected five cases of job-hunting fraud including one victim who had reached Laos.

Three women traveled from Macau to Cambodia on Thursday 18 August but were persuaded by police to abandon the trip.

However, “one man had already gone to Laos in July,” they said. “This man went to Laos because he was introduced to a career in public relations at a casino in Laos, earning US$5,000 a month.”

Fortunately, according to police, the man left Laos in August and is now in another country where he is safe.

Another man was introduced to work in Southeast Asia by a friend in August but did not accept. He recently learned that the job might have involved fraud and reported it to police.

“The jobs that the criminal syndicate introduced to the five people were all in casinos, and they were offered high salaries and good position as a condition,” the PJ explained.

“Criminal syndicates will use high salaries and good conditions to lure people to Southeast Asian countries such as Cambodia, Laos and other places to work, but many are detained and forced to carry out fraudulent work.

“There are even some incidents involving human trafficking. Police call on the public to remain vigilant.”

Similar cases have been reported in Hong Kong, where authorities said that 20 people have so far sought help after being tricked into working in Southeast Asia. Twelve of those people have been confirmed safe and 10 have returned to Hong Kong.

A group of Taiwanese people was intercepted by authorities en route to Cambodia.

As for Taiwan, the Taiwan Criminal Investigation Bureau has launched an investigation amid reports that more than 4,000 people have traveled to Cambodia in the past nine months, although not all of them involve incidents of job fraud. Nevertheless, 120 people have lost contact in Cambodia.

Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Wang Wenbin commented on the situation at a regular press conference on 18 August, stating, “The Chinese government attaches great importance to the incident and is doing its utmost to protect the safety and legitimate rights of Chinese citizens overseas, including our compatriots in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

“The Chinese embassies and consulates in the countries concerned are maintaining close communication with the governments of the host countries to actively locate and rescue the people concerned.

“At the same time, we once again remind Chinese citizens to be wary of false recruitment information on overseas networks, strictly abide by the law, ensure personal safety and report fraudulent and gambling-related information in a timely manner.”

RelatedPosts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14
Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57
Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52
Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43
Load More
Tags: casinofraudJudiciary PoliceMacauonline gambling
Share22Share4
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14

New South Wales police have arrested and charged a couple from Kazakhstan for allegedly fraudulently winning over AU$1 million at Crown Sydney. The couple, who travelled to Sydney from Kazakhstan in October 2025, made multiple visits to the casino at...

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English