• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 December 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Okada Manila ownership case heading to the High Court as ousted board demands repayment of casino cage funds

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Tue 16 Aug 2022 at 14:16
We’re Back!

Okada Manila

69
SHARES
1.7k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Japan’s Universal Entertainment Corp (UEC) – the ultimate parent company of Philippines integrated resort Okada Manila – says a motion filed with the Second Division of the Supreme Court to reconsider the Status Que Ante Order (SQAO) it issued earlier this year has now been remanded to the High Court.

The SQAO, issued in May, had ordered the board of Okada Manila’s operator, Tiger Resort, Leisure and Entertainment Inc (TRLEI) to be restored to its composition in 2017, before a dispute between Universal and its founder, Kazuo Okada, that led to the latter being frozen out. Following the SQAO, a group representing Mr Okada forcibly took control of the premises on 31 May and remain in control to this day.

The ongoing intra-corporate dispute saw the ousted board file a motion calling on the Supreme Court to reconsider with Universal revealing this week that the issue has now been elevated to the High Court based on additional information provided.

“The Philippine Supreme Court has decided to remand the case once to the High Court for the High Court to review the evidentiary documents regarding TRLEI’s ownership of voting rights and make findings of fact regarding TRLEI’s ownership of voting rights, since no such documents were submitted to the lower court,” it said.

“The High Court will … perform the task of determining who or which company owns the voting rights of TRLEI [and] will return the results of its fact finding to the Supreme Court, which will issue a judgement based on the evidence and documents.”

Universal said the High Court will complete its fact finding within 30 days and expects the Supreme Court to deliberate for around a month before issuing its judgement.

The update comes as the ousted board confirmed Tuesday that its legal representatives have now issued demand letters to three Okada Manila officers for the immediate return of Php122 million (US$2.2 million) it says they siphoned from the casino cage.

The officers have been named as Assistant Vice President for Accounting and Finance Gilbert Gianzon, Director for Finance Renato Marcelo and Manager for Accounts Payable, Rowena Chan, with the ousted board alleging they authorized the release of the cash in question to to TransAsia Construction Development Corp (TCDC), a company linked to Kazuo Okada representative Dindo Espeleta.

“The illegally constituted board led by Kazuo Okada has resorted to using ordinary day-to-day officers to do their dirty work,” said UEC director Kenshi Asano.

“This act of corporate thievery should stop immediately to protect not only our investors but the sustainability of the business, which employs more than 5,000 workers. We, the investors in Okada Manila, are respectfully asking the honorable Supreme Court to hasten the resolution of the intra-corporate dispute in our multibillion-dollar investment.”

The ousted board said it was also offering a reward of 5% of any funds recovered to Okada Manila staff who provide information that leads to their recovery, potentially including an earlier Php2 billion (US$36.7 million) payment to TCDC it says was approved by the Kazuo Okada-backed board.

“TRAL urges Okada Manila employees who observe suspicious payments or potential outright theft to please send an email with the full details to okadamanila.rewardhotline@hq.universal-777.com if they have any information on improper taking, or payment of Okada Manila funds,” Asano said.

RelatedPosts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14
Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57
Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43
PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32
Load More
Tags: casinoKazuo OkadaManilaOkada ManilaPhilippinesTiger ResortUniversal Entertainment Corp
Share28Share5
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14

New South Wales police have arrested and charged a couple from Kazakhstan for allegedly fraudulently winning over AU$1 million at Crown Sydney. The couple, who travelled to Sydney from Kazakhstan in October 2025, made multiple visits to the casino at...

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English