• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 31 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

A view of Macau’s license re-tender: Concessionaires to respond to “inequality of rights” with widespread layoffs, pay cuts

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Wed 3 Aug 2022 at 20:08
Executive Action

Macau’s Cotai Strip

66
SHARES
1.6k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The Macau government has launched a 48-day tender process for casino licences and the contents of the tender have been released to the public. These were reported by Inside Asian Gaming earlier this week, sparking discussion over whether the government is expecting too much from gaming companies in supporting Macau’s social development.

Lam Kai Kong, a 33-year veteran of Macau’s gaming industry and director of the Macau Junket Promoters Association, told IAG on Wednesday that the content of the tender was indicative of the “inequality of rights and obligations between concessionaires and the government.” But it could also result in an unintended consequence, with the government’s determination to push concessionaires to the limit likely to result in staff layoffs and pay cuts.

The tender document states that bidders must deliver 11 specific projects, as follows:

  1. Increase international tourism
  2. Develop MICE
  3. Develop entertainment
  4. Hold major sporting events
  5. Promote art and culture
  6. Develop health-based tourism
  7. Create themed amusements
  8. Promote Macau as a “City of Gastronomy”
  9. Develop community-based tourism
  10. Develop maritime tourism
  11. Others (including develop Macau as a “tech” center)

These 11 investment projects, all non-gaming, have caused some confusion. The call to “Develop health-based tourism”, for example includes a requirement for concessionaires to develop health-oriented tourism products and even mentions Chinese medicine for health and wellness.

It is undeniably strange that Chinese medicine would be seen as a responsibility of concessionaires rather than the government.

Lam Kai Kong

According to Lam, this proves that “the rights and obligations of concessionaires and the government have become very unequal.”

He said, “In the 80s and 90s, the gaming industry was monopolized by Stanley Ho Hung-sun, and the government of Portuguese Macau at the time required the gaming companies to take on social responsibilities, including the airport and Macau Tower. SJM made those investments but at that time, the gaming environment was relatively free and while the government required gaming companies to take on a lot of social responsibilities, it also allowed them to develop relatively freely.

“The environment is different now. There are now six concessionaires and they have to compete with each other, VIP rooms are no longer allowed to operate and satellite casinos are also not allowed to operate [in the manner they did previously].”

There is also the issue of China’s COVID-zero policy. While the Macau government is asking concessionaires to develop MICE and attract overseas visitors, there is no guarantee this COVID-zero policy will be wound back next year, or the one after, potentially creating an untenable scenario given the losses these operators have already accrued during the pandemic.

Lam commented, “Gaming companies are developing non-gaming elements, but the current approach to the epidemic policy is not allowing all developments to take place. The tender requires the development of many non-gaming elements but concessionaires have not been provided any compensation or assistance for all their losses. This is also a sign of inequality.”

Concessionaires may create new companies to sign contracts

In the face of continuous losses and without the ability to layoff staff, there is a view in the community that the six current concessionaires will embark on significant layoffs once they obtain their new gaming licences. In order to prevent this from happening, the Macau government has also included in the tender a provision to protect local staff.

However, now that the concessionaires are bidding for a new license, Lam says it is very likely that the entities they use to sign concession contracts with government will be newly created companies. As such, all staff would need to be re-hired by signing contracts with these new concessionaire companies.

Since the existing concessions will all expire on 31 December 2022, the government has already asked the concessionaires to set money aside to allow them to pay employees any severance pay or other entitlements due should they fail to win a new concession.

The unintended consequence of this is that, with severance money already set aside, the concessionaires might take the opportunity to use these funds for their intended purpose, then re-hire only the minimum number of employees it needs to operate under the current, more subdued business environment. This would also allow concessionaires to offer new employment contracts with lower salaries and fewer benefits.

Lam believes the most likely outcome of the six concessionaires signing a new gaming contract with the government will be widespread layoffs and pay cuts.

“The six concessionaires will sign a new contract with their existing employees after they have been granted the gaming licence, and there is a chance that the new concessionaire will then offer a lower salary contract. If the employees do not accept it, they will be told they are free leave their jobs,” Lam said.

RelatedPosts

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45
Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43
Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32
Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
Load More
Tags: concessionairesemployeesLam Kai Konglayoffslicense re-tenderingMacau
Share26Share5
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English