• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Macau court finds Wynn Macau, MGM China jointly liable in nine cases involving player deposits in VIP rooms

Pierce Chan by Pierce Chan
Tue 17 May 2022 at 05:57
Wynn Macau

Wynn Macau

172
SHARES
4.3k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau’s Court of Final Appeal has ruled that Wynn Macau and MGM China are “jointly and severally liable” after it retried nine cases involving VIP room deposits.

The nine cases – eight of which relate to the theft of up to HK$700 million (US$90 million) from junket promoter Dore Entertainment Co Ltd’s VIP room at Wynn Macau in 2015 – were tried in January and February of this year with the plaintiffs claiming to have deposited between HK$1 million and HK$6 million. The other case involved a former VIP room run by Sun City Gaming Promotion Co Ltd at an MGM property.

In each case it was alleged that Dore and Sun City had rejected their efforts to withdraw funds after previously making deposits.

The cases had initially been filed with the Court of First Instance (TJB) and decisions to find Wynn and MGM jointly liable were largely supported by the Court of Second Instance (TSI), however all nine cases were ultimately appealed to the Court of Final Appeal which adjudged the concessionaires liable in all instances.

“It would not be logical that the development of the activities included in the gaming concession could be carried out for the benefit of the concessionaire by other entities contracted for this purpose, without resulting in any liability for the damage caused by the activity that these same entities could cause,” the court said.

It therefore held that the concessionaires should be jointly and severally liable for the debts incurred by gaming promoters operating within its casinos.

The rulings mirror a previous decision by the Court of Final Appeal in November 2021 which upheld a 2018 decision by the TSI which found Wynn Macau and Dore Entertainment Co Ltd jointly liable for repayment of a HK$6 million (US$770,000) debt owed to a VIP customer.

That decision seemingly caught the eye of all Macau’s concessionaires, a number of which referenced potential junket liability in their 2021 Annual Reports. This included MGM China, which said it could be liable for up to HK$202.7 million (US$25.9 million) in relation to deposits by individuals within its properties.

Others, such as Sands China and Galaxy Entertainment Group, have recently said they expect no material impact from such cases.

Concessionaire liability is referenced under Article 48F(2) of the new Macau gaming law, which reads, “Concessionaires are jointly and severally liable for the liability of their gaming promoters arising from carrying out gaming promotion activities in their casinos.” While this is nothing new, it also, for the first time, holds them “jointly and severally liable for the liability of members of administrative organs, employees, and collaborators of their gaming promoters arising from carrying out gaming promotion activities in their casinos.”

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
IAG names Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau as venue and SJM Resorts S.A. as Venue Sponsor for 2025 Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner

SJM reports widened 1H25 loss despite GGR growing almost 12% to US$1.90 billion

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 18:54
Capital Punishment

SJM to relocate satellite casino gaming tables, slot machines to Macau’s famous Hotel Lisboa as part of US$68 million deal with parent company STDM

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 17:35
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Load More
Tags: Court of Final AppealCourt of First InstanceDepositsDore EntertainmentJunketsMacauMGM ChinaSun City Gaming Promotion Company LimitedWynn Macau
Share69Share12
Pierce Chan

Pierce Chan

With more than five years’ experience working as a journalist in Macau, Pierce is an experienced media operator with strong skills in news writing and editing. He previously worked with Exmoo, first as a reporter covering government, gaming and tourism-related stories, then as a Deputy Assignment Editor helping set the agenda of the day. Pierce is a graduate of the University of Macau.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English