• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Changing customer demographic has Wynn reassessing Macau development opportunities

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Wed 11 May 2022 at 06:04
Changing customer demographic has Wynn reassessing Macau development opportunities
93
SHARES
2.3k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The CEO of Wynn Resorts and Wynn Macau Ltd, Craig Billings, says the company is reassessing its future Macau development opportunities as the market shifts away from VIP to a more leisure-focussed customer base.

The update, offered during Wynn’s 1Q22 earnings call on Wednesday morning (Asia time), comes with the Phase 2 expansion of Wynn Palace currently on hold as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the combined headwinds of the pandemic and the collapse of Macau’s VIP industry – once a stronghold of the Wynn brand – has forced a rethink with the company eying a more mass-centric focus in the future.

“We’ve seen, throughout the course of COVID, new customers coming to Macau with different customer motivations than perhaps historically we’ve seen – shopping motivation, leisure motivation and things like that,” Billings told analysts during Wednesday’s earnings call.

“Part of the reason that’s the case is because Hong Kong hasn’t been accessible but that really piques our interest when we think about what the future development of Macau might be from a non-gaming perspective. Now, we are under no illusion that we are talking about a Las Vegas style non-gaming market – it’s just a very, very different dynamic [in Macau] – but the ability to adapt and change our business as the market adapts is a very interesting incremental investment opportunity.”

Wynn Macau President and Executive Director, Ian Michael Coughlan, noted that the company still has two undeveloped land parcels at Wynn Palace covering 11 acres, plus another 1.5 acres on the existing property, that offer “very meaningful” development opportunities for the future although exactly what those might be remains to be seen. The company had previously described its vision for Wynn Palace Phase 2 as “a unique world-class cultural destination, incorporating an array of non-gaming amenities such as event space, interactive entertainment installations, food and beverage offerings, and additional hotel rooms.”

Coughlan said Wynn is “in the process right now of determining exactly what will benefit Macau for the long term. We are awaiting the tender documentation to see how the government feels about what’s right for the future and we will blend our own needs with that, but there is great opportunity for us to expand our business considerably in Macau.”

In the short-term, Billings said the company would start by reimagining former junket rooms at peninsula property Wynn Macau as mass or premium mass space.

“We anticipate that the core customer motivation [at Wynn Macau] will be gaming over the longer term and we have some prime real estate in the form of former junket space that we think will be incredibly competitive in mass,” he said.

“Wynn Palace is a bit of a different story because we may have the opportunity to do some more unique things, some longer-term, blue sky thinking. We are obviously not making that investment right now but we have the real estate to do it and we’ll take advantage of that when the time comes.”

RelatedPosts

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52
Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33
10 Years Ago – Buying the house

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 15:30
Galaxy unveils strategic cooperation agreement with TME Live to bring world-class events to Galaxy Arena

Citigroup: Concert-hosting concessionaires to enjoy above-industry EBITDA growth in the long run

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:18
Load More
Tags: Craig BillingsdevelopmentGamingIan Michael CoughlanMacauMass marketVIPWynn MacauWynn Palace
Share37Share7
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32

Century Entertainment International Holdings Ltd has described a “remarkable turnaround” in its financial performance for the six months to 30 September 2025 after reporting its first revenue in years and reversing the HK$11.4 million (US$1.5 million) net loss it recorded...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English