• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 31 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Duterte bans all online cockfighting in the Philippines

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Wed 4 May 2022 at 05:42
PAGCOR receives US$20 million from e-Sabong in first four months of regulation
37
SHARES
913
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered an immediate ban on online cockfighting, also known as e-sabong, following a spate of associated abductions.

Duterte announced the ban during a regular address on Monday, reversing his previous declaration that he did not want to suspend e-sabong operations due to the revenue it generated for the government.

“The recommendation of [Interior Secretary Eduardo Año] is to do away with e-sabong and he cited the validation report coming from all sources. So it’s his recommendation and I agree with it, it’s good, so e-sabong will end,” the President said, adding that the Php640 million (US$12 million) in monthly tax collections did not justify the sport’s ongoing presence.

“We are only after the tax collection, but after the stories I’ve heard, it was very loud and clear to me that it was working against our values. It is impacting people and their families.”

According to local media reports, a survey conducted by the Department of the Interior and Local Government on e-sabong operations found that 62% of respondents wanted the pastime banned. It also uncovered multiple stories of people pawning possessions in order to bet on e-sabong.

As previously reported by IAG, investigations have been underway into the disappearance of 31 people in cases believed to be linked to betting on the popular bloodsport, said to be an important tradition in the Philippines.

The disappearances included 10 men who went missing shortly after being seen in cockfighting arenas in Laguna and Manila on 13 January, another six men after participating in a cockfighting tournament in Manila on the same day and 10 men from Bulacan who have been missing since attended a cockfighting match in mid-2021.

Secretary Año said, “The DILG welcomes the President’s decision to stop e-Sabong. Government policies must take heed of the pulse of the people. This decision is rooted in a survey reflecting the sentiment of the people. This wasn’t a rushed decision.”

Philippine gaming regulator PAGCOR only began issuing licenses to selected e-sabong operators in May 2021 in an effort to raise revenues while stamping out illegal online activities.

The regulator said at the time that it “advises the public not to engage in any gaming activity from unlicensed e-sabong operators and unregistered e-sabong websites to avoid being duped and cheated of your hard-earned money.

“It is for the above reasons that PAGCOR had to step in to regulate the emerging industry to primarily protect the Filipino players and to ensure that the government get its appropriate share of revenues from their operations. Without regulation, e-sabong will proliferate and have far reaching detrimental effects on its players.”

RelatedPosts

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:15
Winds of change

IAG announces program for 2025 IAG Academy Summit on 9 and 10 September at Manila Marriott, Newport World Resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:01
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

Wed 27 Aug 2025 at 13:03
Load More
Tags: e-sabongonline cockfightingPAGCORPhilippinesRodrigo Duterte
Share15Share3
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

SBC Summit 2025 to explore the future of digital with Web 3.0 and Blockchain Academy

SBC Summit 2025 to explore the future of digital with Web 3.0 and Blockchain Academy

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:29

Delegates at the upcoming SBC Summit 2025 will gain hands-on experience in Web 3.0 and blockchain through a new academy dedicated to decentralized technologies. The program includes practical workshops, discussions and a live session with marketing powerhouse Gary Vaynerchuk. The academy is part of SBC’s...

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English