• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Star management said to have been furious at contents of 2018 audit report on junket, AML compliance

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Tue 22 Mar 2022 at 13:52
Star management said to have been furious at contents of 2018 audit report on junket, AML compliance

The Star Sydney

37
SHARES
925
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Senior management at Australia’s Star Entertainment Group initially disputed the findings of a 2018 report by global audit firm KPMG which outlined alleged failings in Star’s anti-money laundering (AML) procedures, according to evidence tendered during public hearings into the casino operator on Tuesday.

The findings of the report, and Star’s response to them, was central to media reports last October claiming the company had mirrored its local rival Crown Resorts by enabling suspected money laundering, organized crime, fraud and foreign interference.

Former Chief Risk Officer for Star, Paul McWilliams, said during Tuesday’s hearings that the casino giant’s CEO Matt Bekier and Chairman John O’Neill had both furiously disagreed with the findings of the report when it was tabled in 2018, with Bekier labelling it both “wrong” and “unacceptable for the report to be prepared in this way.”

In particular, Bekier and O’Neill are said to have been upset over criticism of how the company dealt with its junket partners. This was despite the report highlighting key AML deficiencies in how it classified high-risk versus low-risk gamblers, alleging Star did not treat those who played with AU$200,000 (US$149,000) any differently than those with AU$5,000 (US$3,700).

In what was described as a “very tense” board meeting at the time, McWilliams said Bekier “[made] a show of throwing [the report] on the table”, making it clear he strongly disagreed with its findings. Such was Bekier’s anger, McWilliams told the inquiry he had started “to wonder if there was in fact something materially wrong with the report,” even though he had already held concerns of his own over Star’s AML compliance.

KPMG partner Alexander Graham, who co-authored the report, also told the inquiry on Tuesday that he had been in a nearby meeting room during the board meeting in question waiting to present to the Star board but was never invited in. Instead, the audit firm held a series of meetings at a later date where the casino operator ran through its concerns, however KPMG would eventually reply that it fully stood by its findings.

Despite his statements regarding the extent of Bekier and O’Neill’s reaction, McWilliams said he felt confident that the company was working to address recommendations contained within the report when he left Star in 2019.

Star also issued a statement last October in which it said media assertions that the KPMG report was kept secret and not adequately acted on were incorrect.

“The actions included The Star adopting an updated AML/CTF Program as a priority in October 2018, and undertaking a program of work to enhance its AML compliance framework, under the Board’s oversight,” Star said.

“The Star remains committed to ongoing continuous improvement of its AML compliance.”

RelatedPosts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43
Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05
We’re Back!

Ho Tram says addition of locals gaming to include world-class responsible gaming practices

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 04:22
10 Years Ago – Buying the house

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 15:30
Load More
Tags: AustraliacasinoJohn O’NeillJunketsKPMGMatt BekierStar Entertainment GroupThe Star (Sydney)
Share15Share3
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32

Century Entertainment International Holdings Ltd has described a “remarkable turnaround” in its financial performance for the six months to 30 September 2025 after reporting its first revenue in years and reversing the HK$11.4 million (US$1.5 million) net loss it recorded...

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English