• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

China says 17,000 cross-border gambling cases acted upon in 2021

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Tue 11 Jan 2022 at 06:37
China’s foreign exchange regulator joins cross-border gambling fight
53
SHARES
1.3k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

China’s Ministry of Public Security says it investigated more than 17,000 cases of cross-border gambling and arrested more than 80,000 suspects in 2021 under increased measures aimed at cracking down on criminal activity.

It also destroyed more than 2,200 online gambling platforms, 1,600 illegal payment platforms and underground banks, 930 illegal technical service teams and 1,500 gambling promotion platforms, according to information published Friday.

The figures come in the wake of a series of announcements by Chinese authorities in recent years around their plans to tackle the issue of cross-border gambling, including the establishment in August 2020 of a “blacklist” of overseas tourist destinations which the Ministry of Culture and Tourism said at the time was disrupting the nation’s outbound tourism market by opening casinos targeting mainland Chinese customers.

The Ministry of Public Security stated in April 2021 that it planned to destroy all cross-border gambling syndicates operating in China and cut off capital and technology chains – a promise that ultimately led to the arrest and detention in late November of Alvin Chau – the CEO of Asia’s leading junket promoter, Suncity Gaming Promotion Company Limited. Suncity has since closed down its junket business.

On Friday, the Ministry of Public Security said it and other departments had used “a variety of means to comprehensively carry out crackdowns and governance, and have successfully destroyed the gambling and gambling networks and money laundering channels of many overseas super-large gambling groups in China.

“The special management of shell companies and the transfer of gambling funds from public accounts, blocking and disposing of a number of cross-border online gambling websites and applications, effectively curbed the spread of cross-border gambling and the rampant trend of betting and gambling against Chinese citizens.

“At the same time, we have implemented a ‘blacklist’ system for overseas key areas of China’s gambling and gambling, strictly controlled entry and exit of personnel, and made every effort to safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of the people.”

According to the Ministry, over 1,100 criminal suspects had answered a call issued in February of last year to hand themselves in to authorities in order to be given a “lighter or mitigated punishment.”

The Ministry also promised to continue its fight against cross-border gambling “with the strictest measures and the greatest strength, and deploy multiple waves of public security organs across the country” in order to “safeguard our economic security, social stability and national image.”

RelatedPosts

Macau’s Beijing Imperial Palace Hotel, former site of Greek Mythology casino and once linked to Alvin Chau, undergoing renovation works after ownership change

Macau’s Beijing Imperial Palace Hotel, former site of Greek Mythology casino and once linked to Alvin Chau, undergoing renovation works after ownership change

Fri 21 Nov 2025 at 12:15
Philippines cracking down on influencers promoting illegal online gambling sites

Philippines cracking down on influencers promoting illegal online gambling sites

Mon 17 Nov 2025 at 04:40
Japan’s new Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi was an early proponent of IR bill

China issues advisory warning citizens against travelling to Japan following PM’s Taiwan comments, Macau and Hong Kong follow suit

Mon 17 Nov 2025 at 04:11
Thailand hands over gambling kingpin and long-time fugitive She Zhijiang for extradition back to China

Thailand hands over gambling kingpin and long-time fugitive She Zhijiang for extradition back to China

Thu 13 Nov 2025 at 05:13
Load More
Tags: Alvin ChauChinacross-border gamblingMinistry of Public Securityonline gamblingSuncity Group
Share21Share4
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14

New South Wales police have arrested and charged a couple from Kazakhstan for allegedly fraudulently winning over AU$1 million at Crown Sydney. The couple, who travelled to Sydney from Kazakhstan in October 2025, made multiple visits to the casino at...

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English