• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 December 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

NagaWorld protesters accused of conspiracy

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Thu 6 Jan 2022 at 06:17
NagaCorp confirms full gaming operations now up and running at NagaWorld

NagaWorld

18
SHARES
446
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Cambodian authorities have accused a group of NagaWorld workers involved in a protest against the treatment of 365 former employees laid off by the company last April of being part of a conspiracy.

At a joint press conference held earlier this week, senior police officials alongside representatives of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court said they had gathered evidence that protest leaders had accepted financial support from organized groups both within and outside of Cambodia and totalling “tens of thousands of dollars” in order to ensure the protests took place, according to a report by The Phnom Penh Post.

The authorities also allege that they have found messages containing incitement to commit violence against the police.

“In our investigation, we have collected a lot of evidence such as computers, smartphones and other materials used to organise the protests,” said Municipal deputy police chief Bun Sok Sekha.

“We have seen evidence that they were supported by two NGOs abroad and one NGO in Cambodia.”

The accusations follow the recent arrest of nine protesters, since charged with “incitement to commit a felony”, and the detention of another 17 people for questioning in relation to the protests, which have been taking place in the Cambodian capital city since mid-December.

The arrests have caught the eye of the international community, with the US embassy releasing a statement of its own this week expressing concern over the actions taken by authorities.

“We are following closely the troubling arrests of NagaWorld union members for their peaceful protest and urge authorities to hear citizens, not silence them,” the statement said.

“Freedoms of speech, assembly and association are guaranteed in the Cambodian constitution.”

However, according to The Phnom Penh Post, Municipal court prosecutor Seng Hieng said the arrested protestors had confessed to receiving financial support to organize the protests while “hiding under the cover of peaceful protest”.

“It is not a small issue,” Hieng said. “What motivated this group to receive illegal financial support from outside and inside the country to organise this illegal movement? Moreover, the confessions from the suspects are consistent with the evidence that the police had collected and submitted to court.”

NagaWorld’s parent company NagaCorp confirmed last June that it had laid off a number of staff in order to maintain operational and financial flexibility while operations in Cambodia were suspended due to COVID-19.

The company said at the time that it had taken “proactive measures to manage the situation” including a rationalization program to improve cost efficiency, but added it was providing affected employees with “enhanced termination compensation over and above payments required by the applicable Cambodian laws to assist their transition into other career or business interests.”

The majority of affected employees have signed mutual separation agreements, it said.

NagaCorp was looking to save up to US$2 million per month in run-rate operating costs when the workers were let go.

RelatedPosts

Thailand hands over gambling kingpin and long-time fugitive She Zhijiang for extradition back to China

Thailand hands over gambling kingpin and long-time fugitive She Zhijiang for extradition back to China

Thu 13 Nov 2025 at 05:13
2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 25 – Lim Keong Hui

2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 21 – Chen Yiy Fon

Mon 10 Nov 2025 at 18:38
Cambodia shuts down four Sihanoukville casinos for “crime of concealment and fraud through technology”

Cambodia shuts down four Sihanoukville casinos for “crime of concealment and fraud through technology”

Tue 4 Nov 2025 at 05:00

NagaCorp sees strong growth through first nine months of 2025 as strength in mass table segment continues

Thu 2 Oct 2025 at 06:31
Load More
Tags: CambodiaNagaCorpNagaWorldPhnom Penhprotests
Share7Share1
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

New Zealand International Convention Centre to officially open on 11 February 2026

New Zealand International Convention Centre to officially open on 11 February 2026

by Ben Blaschke
Mon 1 Dec 2025 at 06:01

SkyCity Entertainment group has confirmed the official opening date for the recently completed New Zealand International Convention Centre (NZICC), which will open its doors for the first time on 11 February 2026. Having taken possession of the facility from developer...

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14

New South Wales police have arrested and charged a couple from Kazakhstan for allegedly fraudulently winning over AU$1 million at Crown Sydney. The couple, who travelled to Sydney from Kazakhstan in October 2025, made multiple visits to the casino at...

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English