• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Sands China confident in strength of The Londoner Macao investment: Dr Wilfred Wong

Oscar Guijarro by Oscar Guijarro
Tue 9 Feb 2021 at 04:15
Sands China confident in strength of The Londoner Macao investment: Dr Wilfred Wong

Dr Wilfred Wong

54
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Sands China Ltd President Dr Wilfred Wong says he is confident in the long-term prospects of The Londoner Macao, even while the COVID-19 pandemic continues to keep Macau’s gaming revenues suppressed.

Dr Wong was speaking with reporters at the official opening ceremony of The Londoner Macao on Monday, which celebrated the completion of Phase 1 following a US$1.9 billion transformation from its original identity as Sands Cotai Central.

Asked about the prospects of Sands China recouping its investment given the current environment, he replied, “You cannot always compare everything to a miracle and the first establishment [The Venetian Macao] was a real miracle. But you know that the other investments we made normally take longer to recover. For example, The Parisian itself is very successful, but it took several years to recoup. And that’s normal.”

The opening of The Londoner Macao comes less than a fortnight after Sands China reported a US$246 million loss for the three months to 31 December 2020, noting at the time that recent outbreaks of COVID-19 in mainland China had also slowed momentum ahead of the Chinese New Year holiday. But Dr Wong said the company was quietly confident of what the coming week holds for Macau.

“Chinese New Year is always Chinese New Year. We are hopeful,” he said. “Obviously there are suggestions that the visitors might not be as good as we expect, but I think it may give us a lot of surprises.”

Dr Wong also laughed off suggestions that the timing of The Londoner Macao’s opening might negatively impact bookings at neighbouring properties The Venetian Macao and The Parisian Macao.

“We have actually been operating a soft opening over the Christmas and New Year period and what we found was this creates an opportunity for people who otherwise would not visit Macau,” he said. “There are people who previously had no plans of coming who responded and booked a room, and based on the occupancy of the hotels, I don’t think we are cannibalizing any of our hotels.”

“Because The Londoner Macao has been completed, we think we should introduce this to the public as well as to the visitors from China and let them have a choice. I think there’s enough tourists to justify some luxury travel. And we are offering a very luxurious environment for visitors.”

Monday’s ceremony flagged completion of a number of new attractions and features at The Londoner Macao, including the The Londoner Hotel with 600 luxury suites, new dining options, London-themed attractions and the Crystal Palace – an ornate main lobby area designed in classic Victorian style and featuring a 33-meter high stained glass ceiling.

The remainder of the new-look IR, including its British-themed exterior, is due to be completed in phases throughout 2021.

RelatedPosts

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 15:30
Galaxy unveils strategic cooperation agreement with TME Live to bring world-class events to Galaxy Arena

Citigroup: Concert-hosting concessionaires to enjoy above-industry EBITDA growth in the long run

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:18
Emperor Group to target Macau’s premium mass market after 2019 revenue decline

Emperor E sees 30% decline in gaming revenue at Macau’s Grand Emperor in final full six months of satellite casino operations

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 05:26
IAG releases official post-event highlights videos from 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50 Gala Dinner at Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau

IAG releases official post-event highlights videos from 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50 Gala Dinner at Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 04:44
Load More
Tags: Crystal PalaceMacauSands China ltdThe Londoner HotelThe Londoner MacaoWilfred Wong
Share22Share4
Oscar Guijarro

Oscar Guijarro

Oscar Guijarro is Deputy Editor of Inside Asian Gaming. He worked on communication in his motherland Spain until 2010, when a six-month stay in Shanghai turned into a full relocation to Macau some years later. His two-decade experience ranges subjects such as lifestyle, economy and technology from a multi-media approach.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

PAGCOR chair Tengco says transactions on licensed online gambling sites down 50% since ban on e-wallet links

Century Entertainment points to “remarkable turnaround” after generating revenue, returning to profit in 1H26

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:32

Century Entertainment International Holdings Ltd has described a “remarkable turnaround” in its financial performance for the six months to 30 September 2025 after reporting its first revenue in years and reversing the HK$11.4 million (US$1.5 million) net loss it recorded...

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文
  • 日本語

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • 日本語
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English
  • 日本語