• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Aristocrat to stand down 1,000 staff, suspend interim dividend amid COVID-19 pressures but minimal impact on Asian operations

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Mon 27 Apr 2020 at 14:16
Aristocrat suspends internal travel in Asia but says material Coronavirus impact unlikely
76
SHARES
1.7k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Australian slot machine giant Aristocrat Leisure Limited has revealed it will temporarily stand down 1,000 staff and cut 200 jobs permanently as it looks to reduce costs as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

But there will be no impact felt by Aristocrat’s Asia team, with all local staff retaining their roles and the company promising an increase in content production from the region.

Providing an update on its COVID-19 response to the ASX on Monday, Aristocrat said it is standing down around 1,000 staff group-wide – equal to a quarter of its global workforce of 4,000 – until the end of June 2020 with the majority being in land-based sales, service and manufacturing operations, “reflecting venue closures and uncertain re-opening timeframes.”

Another 200 roles will be made redundant, while 200 positions will move from full-time to part-time until the end of the financial year on 30 September 2020. In addition, until September the base salaries of around 1,500 staff will be cut by between 10% and 20%, directors will face a 20% cut to their fees and CEO Trevor Croker a 30% cut to his base salary.

However, Inside Asian Gaming has learned that the impact will be minimal in Asia, where all staff will be retained with no impact to any customer-facing roles in sales or technical service nor to its production or supply chains given Aristocrat’s local facility at the Macau integration centre.

The company also revealed to IAG an ongoing commitment to develop more content in and for Asia than previously in order to support the rebound of casinos through 2020 and 2021.

Aristocrat said its extensive global cuts were deemed necessary due to “people costs” comprising around 70% of the company’s operating expenses.

Also on the chopping block is this year’s interim dividend with directors deciding to suspend the dividend policy for the half-year results due to be released in 21 May 2020.

Along with utilizing stimulus measures in Australia, the United States and some other markets where applicable, Aristocrat said it anticipates a cost saving of around AU$100 million (US$65 million) through 30 September 2020.

Nevertheless, the company outlined liquidity in excess of AU$1 billion, comprising cash from operations and AU$150 million already drawn down from the group’s revolving credit facility. Another AU$136 million remains available after Aristocrat upsized that facility last week, it added.

“We are very sensitive to the impact of necessary cost reduction measures on our people, and will work hard to support them through this difficult time consistent with our ‘people first’ approach,” said Croker.

“We believe that these changes will help maximize opportunities for Aristocrat’s dedicated and talented people over the longer term. We will continue to do everything we can to restore momentum in our land-based business as quickly as possible recognizing the importance of continuing to develop and deliver game content during this period.

“These changes, and other prudent steps we are taking as part of our COVID-19 response, will deliver important operational and financial flexibility, focus and efficiency through this period of uncertainty.”

RelatedPosts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14
Tabcorp secures waiver of debt covenants on US$2.1 billion US private placement notes

Tabcorp better placed than online-only sportsbook operators for short-term growth

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:15
RGB revenue, profit down in 3Q25 on delays in Asia venue openings, ongoing closure of some Poipet outlets

RGB revenue, profit down in 3Q25 on delays in Asia venue openings, ongoing closure of some Poipet outlets

Wed 26 Nov 2025 at 05:16
The Star Gold Coast

Bally’s expected to complete conversion of Star shares within this week, chair Anne Ward to step down

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 10:23
Load More
Tags: Aristocrat LeisureAustraliacovid-19interim dividendliquidityrevolving credit facilityslot machinesTrevor Croker
Share36Share5
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Death by a thousand cuts

Kazakhstan couple arrested for using phone and earpieces to cheat Crown Sydney casino out of almost AU$1.2 million

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 19:14

New South Wales police have arrested and charged a couple from Kazakhstan for allegedly fraudulently winning over AU$1 million at Crown Sydney. The couple, who travelled to Sydney from Kazakhstan in October 2025, made multiple visits to the casino at...

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English