• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Half of Macau’s 2020 MICE events impacted by COVID-19

Jane Ka Cheng Wong by Jane Ka Cheng Wong
Wed 1 Apr 2020 at 05:24
Thriller in  Manila
90
SHARES
2.2k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Over 500 exhibitions and conventions have been either cancelled or postponed in Macau through March 2020 due to the impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, but a leading industry representative believes it will recover in the second half of the year.

Managing Director of the Macau Convention and Exhibition Association, Alan Ho, told Inside Asian Gaming that 2020 was expected to be a busy year for the MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions) industry, with over 1,500 exhibitions and conventions planned, but up to 50% of those are expected to be impacted by coronavirus with all events having so far come to a standstill.

Several large-scale MICE events have been cancelled since the outbreak of COVID-19, including the Macao International Environmental Co-operation Forum & Exhibition held annually by the SAR government. Others, such as G2E Asia – currently re-scheduled from mid-May to late July – have been postponed to later dates.

Managing Director of the Macau Convention and Exhibition Association, Alan Ho

Ho noted that the MICE industry in Macau relies heavily on international business and is therefore heavily impacted by the outbreak of COVID-19 in Europe and America.

“It has had a significant negative impact on the MICE industry in Macau in the short and medium term,” Ho said.

“The pausing of the MICE industry has also created a knock-on effect not only on the tourism, hotels, dining and retail sectors, but also on advertising, financial, logistics as well as architectural industries. MICE events play an important role in driving forward-looking corporations, planning and developments in various industries, but all of those have stopped now.”

Last year, the spending of visitors heading to Macau for MICE events rose by 7.8% to MOP$3,781, compared with an average spend from other visitors of just MOP$1,626.

Despite the impact of such loss of business, Ho said he remains confident the sector will enjoy a strong rebound in the latter half of the year.

“Most of our MICE events are special and unique functions compared with others, and we have complementary development to avoid overlapping with Hong Kong and other nearby regions,” Ho added. “The position of Macau’s MICE is competitive enough and irreplaceable. For example, G2E Asia is the one and only gaming related exhibition in the greater China area. It will attract many people to come to Macau after this epidemic.

“Most of the MICE operators also have a consensus between each other, so even though most events will delay for two or three months, a mass clash is unlikely to happen.

“We’ve already asked hotels and venue operators to reschedule our bookings as well. If the epidemic can end in the second half of this year, we can have a better recovery in the fourth quarter.”

Ho emphasized the importance of finding more cooperative opportunities with Zhuhai city and the Greater Bay Area (GBA) to share resources and extend Macau’s influence.

“The epidemic situation in mainland China is much better than other places in the world, so we need the support from the mainland,” he said.

“We plan to start the annual ‘Dynamic Macao Business and Trade Fair’ in Qingdao city in July, and then we are going to launch more characteristic events with the GBA. We can share venues, introduce guests and customers to each other and drive our hotels and expenditures together.”

Ho revealed the SAR government is planning measures aimed at supporting the MICE industry, with an announcement expected in the near future.

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
IAG names Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau as venue and SJM Resorts S.A. as Venue Sponsor for 2025 Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner

SJM reports widened 1H25 loss despite GGR growing almost 12% to US$1.90 billion

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 18:54
Capital Punishment

SJM to relocate satellite casino gaming tables, slot machines to Macau’s famous Hotel Lisboa as part of US$68 million deal with parent company STDM

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 17:35
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Load More
Tags: Alan Hoconferences and exhibitionsCoronaviruscovid-19MacauMacau Convention and Exhibition AssociationMICE
Share38Share6
Jane Ka Cheng Wong

Jane Ka Cheng Wong

Jane Ka Cheng Wong is a journalist who joined Inside Asian Gaming after working for local Macau media for many years. As part of the IAG team she covers Macau-based stories relating to politics, gaming, IRs and local associations among other topics. Jane is intrigued by unique scenarios, vibrant cultures and different people, and hopes to continue exploring new places around the world in the future.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English