• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 30 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Macau border controls further tightened as China suspends Individual Visit Scheme for mainland visitors

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Wed 29 Jan 2020 at 05:24
Golden Week visitor numbers plummet 49.9% as confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Macau hits six
115
SHARES
2.6k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

China has announced the temporary suspension of its Individual Visit Scheme (IVS), essentially halting all solo travel by mainland Chinese into Macau in the latest dramatic measure aimed at preventing the spread of the Coronavirus.

Introduced in 2003 in order to boost tourism to Macau and Hong Kong in the wake of the deadly SARS outbreak, the IVS has become one of the most commonly used visa types by mainland visitors to the two Special Administrative Regions and accounted for around 47% of all visitors to Macau in 2019.

However, China’s decision to suspend issuing IVS visas – announced by Macau’s Secretary for Administration and Justice, André Cheong, at a press conference late Tuesday – coupled with a ban on package tours implemented last week, leaves Chinese visitors with minimal options to enter Macau unless travelling for business or with family.

The news comes as another crushing blow for Macau’s casino operators who traditionally count Chinese New Year as their busiest period of the year, accounting for around 5.5% of annual GGR according to brokerage Bernstein. January and February combined comprise up to 17% of annual GGR.

Golden Week visitation numbers took yet another dive on Day 4 of Golden Week, with figures released by the Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO) showing a year-on-year decline of 84.1% to 36,092 on Monday – taking the four-day total so far to 194,521, down 69.0%.

Those declines include a 75.1% fall in visitors from mainland China to 111,723, with Day 4 numbers down a whopping 88.5% to 20.174.

Empty streets in Macau on Tuesday.

“The impact is frustratingly tough to assess, as it depends on how long the suspension lasts (which is dictated by virus developments),” said JP Morgan’s DS Kim, Derek Choi and Jeremy An said in a Tuesday note. “We wouldn’t be surprised to see the IVS suspension itself – while it lasts – hurt GGR by over 30% (for both VIP and mass, though the impact should be relatively bigger for mass), and we see significant downside to February GGR forecasts, as well as January.”

Authorities have also announced the suspension or reduction of major ferry services between Macau and Hong Kong. Starting from 30 January, services from the Outer Harbour and Taipa ferry terminals in Macau to Hong Kong’s Tuen Mun and Kowloon terminals will be suspended, while those travelling between Macau and both the Hong Kong International Airport and Sheung Wan terminals will be reduced.

Meanwhile, Macau’s gaming regulator announced overnight that it held a meeting with the SAR’s six concessionaires on Tuesday at which it instructed them to adjust staff rosters to allow mainland residents to leave Macau through the border gate checkpoint by 10pm each day. As previously reported by Inside Asian Gaming, the closing time of the Gongbei border gate has been temporarily brought forward from 1am to 10pm daily.

In cases where mainland staff finish work later than 10pm, operators must arrange “suitable vehicles” to shuttle employees home via the Lotus Port.

“The SAR Government emphasizes that the government, enterprises and citizens must work together to prevent epidemics,” the DICJ said. “The six major operators will cooperate with the government’s arrangements to immediately implement the above-mentioned relevant measures and fulfill their social responsibilities.”

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
IAG names Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau as venue and SJM Resorts S.A. as Venue Sponsor for 2025 Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner

SJM reports widened 1H25 loss despite GGR growing almost 12% to US$1.90 billion

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 18:54
Capital Punishment

SJM to relocate satellite casino gaming tables, slot machines to Macau’s famous Hotel Lisboa as part of US$68 million deal with parent company STDM

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 17:35
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Load More
Tags: border gatecasinosChinaChinese New YearCoronavirusGolden WeekIndividual Visit SchemeIRsIVSMacautourism
Share54Share7
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文
  • 日本語

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • 日本語
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English
  • 日本語