• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 29 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Donaco ready to reset after horror year sees losses widen in FY19 on Cambodia impairment charge

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Thu 29 Aug 2019 at 05:41

Donaco International's Star Vegas Resort & Casino in Cambodia

30
SHARES
698
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Southeast Asian casino operator Donaco International Ltd says it is well positioned to leave the turmoil of the past 12 months behind and start to rebuild after completing a sweeping overhaul of the board earlier this month.

The full impact of the company’s recent woes was reflected in its bottom line on Wednesday with Donaco’s FY19 financial results revealing a statutory net loss after tax of AU$194 million for the 12 months ended 30 June 2019, primarily resulting from a non-cash impairment charge on the Star Vegas casino license due to ongoing litigation with the property’s land owners.

Likewise, the dramatic removal of Donaco founders Joey and Ben Lim from the Board last month and the series of events that led to it were a major reason for combined revenue at the group’s two casino operations – Star Vegas in Cambodia and Aristo International in Vietnam – declining 7.3% to AU$86.3 million and EBITDA by 43.2% to AU$29.6 million, according to Chairman Stuart McGregor.

“The full year results reflect the lack of professional management at the casino venues,” McGregor said, as well as “the fact that the Board was distracted by ownership and control issues.”

Those distractions have since been resolved with Lim’s shares now held by Hong Kong hedge fund Argyle Street Management Ltd, a new-look board in place and the appointment in June of former Resorts World Sentosa and The Star Gold Coast executive Paul Arbuckle as Group CEO.

Arbuckle hasn’t wasted any time identifying areas of concern, particularly at Star Vegas where net gaming revenue fell 9.9% to THB1.37 billion (US$44.6 million), non-gaming revenue by 19.0% to THB124.2 million (US$4.1 million) and EBITDA by 37.2% to THB610.2 million (US$19.9 million).

“Slot machine revenue declined by 24.5% following the changeover to newer slot machines, and this is unacceptable,” Arbuckle said. “Going forward we will revisit our lease arrangements on these machines and may look at revising profit-share arrangements, or purchasing these machines outright. Non-gaming revenue was down by 19%, with some further changes needed to boost the attractiveness of the non-gaming businesses.

“The EBITDA decline was due to a combination of the lower win rate, higher staff count required to replace staff that were poached by the Thai vendor, and higher marketing costs related to our events program, which drove the strong increase in visitation. We intend to look closely at the appropriateness of each of these aspects of the business.

“We have introduced a range of improvements for the 2020 financial year, and the early signs are encouraging with a strong July being recorded, which is flowing through into our August results to date.”

At Aristo, net gaming revenue fell 15% to RMB60.5 million, with non-gaming revenue down 25% to RMB45.3 million and EBITDA down 27% to RMB52.2 million.

“The first half of the financial year was challenging for Aristo, as it was impacted by a Chinese crime syndicate in July and August 2018, which threatened VIP junkets and customers on the Chinese side of the border and significantly impacted results in those months,” Arbuckle explained.

“However, in the second half of the year the business returned to more normal operating conditions. So whilst the full year results reflect the disruptions that occurred in July and August 2018, the operating performance has now recovered.

“This provides a good baseline for us to look to improve performance, and our license allows additional slot machines to be introduced, so we are looking to see how we can take advantage of this opportunity over the next few years.”

RelatedPosts

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33
Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29
Tabcorp secures waiver of debt covenants on US$2.1 billion US private placement notes

Tabcorp better placed than online-only sportsbook operators for short-term growth

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:15
Emperor Group to target Macau’s premium mass market after 2019 revenue decline

Emperor E sees 30% decline in gaming revenue at Macau’s Grand Emperor in final full six months of satellite casino operations

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 05:26
Load More
Tags: Aristo international hotelAustraliaBen limCambodiaFY19GamingJoey LimPaul ArbucklerevenueStar VegasStuart McGregor
Share13Share2
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:34

1xBet has signed a partnership with the VALORANT roster of esports powerhouse MIBR, becoming the first-ever official betting partner in the Riot Games ecosystem, the company said overnight. Under the partnership, 1xBet and MIBR will focus on creating a new,...

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29

Genting Berhad’s US flagship, Resorts World Las Vegas, suffered another depressed quarter in 3Q25, with revenue declining 1% year-on-year and 3% quarter-on-quarter to US$175 million, The property also fell to an EBITDA loss of US$12 million compared with a gain...

Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05

Genting Malaysia comfortably beat forecasts in the three months to 30 September 2025, with group-wide revenues rising 22% year-on-year to MYR3.36 billion (US$813 million) on higher gaming revenues at flagship Resorts World Genting – particularly in the VIP segment. Although...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English