• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Pansy Ho lines up stunning SJM power play as five-way alliance announced

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Thu 24 Jan 2019 at 10:22

Ms Pansy Ho

146
SHARES
805
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Pansy Ho, the Co-Chairperson and Executive Director of MGM Holdings and daughter of Macau gaming kingpin Stanley Ho, appears to be planning a bid for control of SJM Holdings following an announcement on Wednesday night that four of her companies have formed an alliance with major shareholder the Fok Foundation.

Shun Tak Holdings, of which Ho is Chairman, issued a filing with the Hong Kong Stock Exchange last night in which it revealed that an agreement had been formed between Ho-controlled companies Shun Tak, Lanceford and Interdragon as well as the Fok Foundation and Ho herself.

Their combined interests amount to 53% of shares in STDM, which holds a 54% stake in Macau concessionaire SJM. The Fok Foundation, to which STDM co-founder Henry Fok transferred his shareholding in the early 2000s, controls around 26.5% of STDM – comprising half of the new alliance’s stake.

The five pieces of the new alliance … “The Company” refers to Shun Tak Holdings

A research note published by Deutsche Bank overnight described the move as one of the most significant power plays in Macau’s recent history with one of the possible consequences being a move against current SJM Co-Chairman and Executive Director Angela Leong, Dr Stanley Ho’s fourth wife.

“Notably, one key shareholder not in the agreement is Angela Leong,” Deutsche Bank wrote.

“We see a risk that, when the current terms of board directorships expire for Leong and her associates, namely SJM’s CEO (Dr Ambrose So) and COO (Louis Ng), they may not be re-elected again. We believe the COO’s term expires in June 2019 and the other two in June 2020.”

In its filing on Wednesday, Shun Tak said that the parties have endorsed a common commitment to advancing certain fundamental objectives in relation to STDM and the STDM Group, including the extension of SJM’s gaming concession which is held by its wholly-owned subsidiary SJMSA and ensuring that STDM remains the majority shareholder in SJM.

The alliance said it would make “best efforts to exercise their respective powers and rights” in submitting a common proposal for the election of STDM board members when the time to vote on nominees comes, with the alliance pointing to 31 March 2019 as the next such occasion.

Likewise, the group will exercise its rights in relation to the nomination of directors of SJM including Chairman and Co-Chairman.

“The Parties have also agreed to submit a common proposal for the election of the Board of SJMSA,” the filing said.

Formation of this alliance could prove to be one of the biggest events in Macau gaming since liberalisation of the industry almost 20 years ago, potentially leading to a seismic shake-up in control of Macau’s oldest gaming dynasty.

SJM controls 20 of Macau’s 39 operational casinos, including its flagship Grand Lisboa, three “self-promoted” casinos in Lisboa, Oceanus at Jai Alai and Casino Taipa at Regency Art Hotel and 16 casinos operated by third parties under SJM’s gaming license.

However, its market share has slipped considerably in recent years and it is the only one of Macau’s six concessionaires yet to open an IR in the SAR’s new gaming hub of Cotai. Grand Lisboa Place, due to open in 2020, has been plagued by construction delays.

Inside Asian Gaming will provide further updates as this story develops.

 

 

 

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
IAG names Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau as venue and SJM Resorts S.A. as Venue Sponsor for 2025 Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner

SJM reports widened 1H25 loss despite GGR growing almost 12% to US$1.90 billion

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 18:54
Capital Punishment

SJM to relocate satellite casino gaming tables, slot machines to Macau’s famous Hotel Lisboa as part of US$68 million deal with parent company STDM

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 17:35
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Load More
Tags: Angela LeongFok FoundationMacauPansy HoSJMSTDM
Share127Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English