• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Uncertainty abounds as Landing says Duterte laid foundations for Manila land deal

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Thu 9 Aug 2018 at 06:25
Uncertainty abounds as Landing says Duterte laid foundations for Manila land deal

L to R: Landing COO Jay Lee, Chairman Yang Zhihui, Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte and Landing CFO David Hoon at last September’s meeting

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Uncertainty over the future of Landing International Development’s planned US$1.5 billion Manila integrated resort has been further clouded by the company’s assertion that it was Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte himself who guided them to the plot of land they are now fighting to retain.

Landing held a ground-breaking ceremony for the Entertainment City IR, to be called NayonLanding, on Tuesday but in a remarkable turn of events was blindsided by the news that Duterte had fired the entire board of Nayong Pilipino Foundation (NPF) – the government culture and tourism arm that granted and signed Landing’s lease contract for the land, located in Manila’s Entertainment City precinct.

So suddenly did Duterte lower the sword that NPF chairperson Patricia Ocampo proceeded with her previously planned welcome speech as part of the ground-breaking ceremony before breaking down in tears moments later.

Landing subsequently cancelled a series of media interviews planned for Tuesday afternoon – including one with Inside Asian Gaming – before releasing a statement in which it declared its intention to push ahead with the development of NayonLanding and insisted its lease contract with NPF is still valid and effective.

Most intriguing though is Landing’s assertion that it was Duterte himself who drove the company’s pursuit and acquisition of the land in question, located between Solaire Resort & Casino and Okada Manila.

Asked at a press conference in Manila on Tuesday morning about the strikingly similar scenario facing Macau’s Galaxy Entertainment Group – who announced plans for a US$500 million resort in Boracay earlier this year only for Duterte to declare there would be no casinos built on the holiday island – Landing’s COO Jay Lee said, “I can’t really comment on what happened in Boracay with Galaxy but we started looking at this investment more than a year ago.

“During one of the overseas visits from the President when he was trying to attract direct investments, our Chairman was able to meet up with him … and he welcomed foreign investors.

“After that he set us up with different departments – the tourism department and different departments to help us look for suitable sites for what we intend to do in Manila.

“This land that came about was actually through that process. It was referred to us from different industries, different departments and that was how we found it, so certainly for more than a year now we have been in direct contact with the relevant departments to get where we are today.”

Lee added that the government has long known about Landing’s IR plans and that “the government was very clear in terms of what they wanted.”

IAG reported last September that Landing had met with Duterte and his cabinet at Malacaňang Palace to discuss its IR proposal, having previously met in Hong Kong in May 2017.

Landing declared at the time that, “President Duterte welcomes the company’s proposed investment into the Philippines and expressed his keen interest and overwhelming support to the company’s proposal.”

The Duterte government said on Wednesday it would seek a full probe into the land lease deal, described earlier in the week as “grossly disadvantageous.” It follows an incident in May that saw Duterte’s niece and NPF board member Maria Fema Duterte file a complaint against her fellow board members for, among other reasons, approving Landing’s land lease for an amount well below expectations – claiming that the low lease price would cost the government Php517 million per year.

RelatedPosts

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:15
Winds of change

IAG announces program for 2025 IAG Academy Summit on 9 and 10 September at Manila Marriott, Newport World Resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:01
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

Wed 27 Aug 2025 at 13:03
Load More
Tags: Bloomberry Resorts CorporationDuterteEntertainment CityLanding International DevelopmentManilaMaria Fema T DuterteNayong Pilipino FoundationNPFokadaOkada ManilaPatricia OcampoPhilippinesRodrigo DuterteSolaire
Share2Share
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English