• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 September 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Baha Mar denies opening deadline concerns

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Sun 9 Apr 2017 at 03:22
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

By Ben Blaschke

The Vice President of Baha Mar – the US$3.5 billion Caribbean resort recently purchased by Hong Kong’s Chow Tai Fook Enterprises (CTFE) – has denied claims the property is struggling to meet its 21 April opening date, insisting, “all of the dominoes are falling into place” for the long-awaited event.

More than six years since ground was first broken on the project and two years after construction was halted due to bankruptcy, Baha Mar’s new owner was last week granted its long-awaited casino license with only a hotel license still to be granted before operation can officially begin.

Given the resort’s calamitous past and the speed with which CTFE has reached opening, coming just four months after taking ownership in December, some have questioned the validity of the 21 April launch date. But speaking to The Bahama Journal, Robert Sands said Baha Mar’s Grand Hyatt hotel would be ready for inspection in the coming days ahead of welcoming its first guests next week.

“Basically it’s a written application and submission of certain documentation,” Sands said of the remaining hotel license. “There is an inspection of the facilities, because you can’t get your hotel license until other licenses have been satisfied. All of the dominoes are falling in place.

“Guests will be in the hotels from 12:01am on 21 April. We are marketing already, a lot on social media. A lot of our brands are doing the marketing as well.”

The Grand Hyatt will in fact open only a fraction of their 1,800 rooms next week, with the rest to open in phases. Another of Baha Mar’s hotels, SLS Lux, will start opening from September and a third, Rosewood, in December.

Sands’ comments come after one of the project’s former board members, Dionisio D’Aguilar, suggested the government had rushed through CTFE’s license approvals to ensure the 21 April “soft opening”, which comes just three weeks out from the general elections.

D’Aguilar pointed to the casino license being granted just four days after a mandatory public hearing as evidence that proper process was not being followed.

“I’m delighted they’re moving forward with the opening of Baha Mar,” he told The Tribune. “However, the approval of the gaming license was already pre-determined and it was inevitable it would happen because they’ve already imported the machines and hired the staff.”

“They have a deadline of April 21. They must show progress by April 21. Whatever needs to be done by that date, all the persons that need to approve the documents are holding the pens ready.”

Despite D’Aguilar’s objections, no opposition to Baha Mar’s casino license application was raised at the public hearing. When fully operational, the Baha Mar gaming floor will boast around 1,100 slot machines and 125 gaming tables.

 

RelatedPosts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16
Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45
Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43
Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32
Load More
ShareShare
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English